[comp.sys.ibm.pc] UUPC <--> VMSNET

brodie@fps.mcw.edu (05/04/90)

I have recently tried to hook up a "UUPC" node with my VMSNET
node (DECUS UUCP).  I have also tried using the WAFFLE uucp
implementation as well, and with the same results---

the VAX end ends up telling me that "No Shostname received".

When I run it from the PC end, (full debug set), I can see the system
log in, I get the "Shere" message, and likewise, the "Smynode" message
is sent back.

At that point, it times out "awaiting authorization".
An interesting note:  waffle/uucp said it was waiting for a "^P".
Is that standard, and does vmsnet support that?

Anyone else had problems trying uupc and/or waffle?

summary:

vmsnet:  no shostname
uupc:    timeout waiting for auth.

Kent C. Brodie - Systems Manager		brodie@fps.mcw.edu
Medical College of Wisconsin	     voice:	+1 414 778 4500
				     FAX:       +1 414 778 6694

"My dear, killing you would be like killing the Easter Bunny."
  -Mr. Kincaid (the "hunter") spoken to Mary Ann ; _Gilligan's Island_

morgand@putz.uucp (Dave Morgan) (05/05/90)

In article <3443.26416a74@fps.mcw.edu>, brodie@fps.mcw.edu writes:
> I have recently tried to hook up a "UUPC" node with my VMSNET
> node (DECUS UUCP).  I have also tried using the WAFFLE uucp
> implementation as well, and with the same results---
>
> the VAX end ends up telling me that "No Shostname received".

  I've experienced the same problems.  I believe the system was running
waffle, but I'm not sure.  I *do* know that the only systems I've
experienced any serious problems with were both DOS based implementations.

  It seems that no matter how high I set the debug level on DECUS UUCP, I
can't get enough information to help troubleshoot.  It just gets to the
system name exchange and then dies.  Hmmm.....

--
	Dave Morgan
	Email me at {...bucket, escargot}!putz!morgand

gjc@mitech.com (05/06/90)

I wonder if it would help UUPC if the DECUS UUCP was modified to
provide Shere=XXXXX instead of just the Shere? It is easy enough to do.

In UUCICO.C we can look at the code in the procedure "do_incoming"
and see that DECUS uucp only outputs the "Shere" part.

static	char msgo2[] = "\20Shere\0";

do_incoming(ontheline)
{...
	/* output Shere message, wait for response */

	twrite(msgo2,sizeof(msgo2)-1);

...}

The fix is to sprintf to another buffer with msg02 and
other data as needed before you do the twrite.