[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How to recover file when size=0?

byoder@smcnet.smc.edu (Brian Yoder) (05/03/90)

In article <3520@tymix.UUCP> pnelson@hobbes.UUCP (Phil Nelson) writes:

> HELP! What to I do now?

> I captured too much data using kermit, filling up my hard disk, then edited
>with MicroEmacs 3.10, which said "file truncated" or some such. OK, I said,
>I don't care about the end of the file anyway, so I tried to save (^X^S).
>The end result is that my file now has length = 0. Norton says there is
>nothing to read, but I don't believe him. Can anyone help?

I wish you had included more information about exactly what happened, but from
the sounds of it you might be able to use Norton UnErase to manually
unerase the part of the file you downloaded.  If Kermit didn't name the file
or otherwise obscured the FAT entry the automated unerase might not be able
to find your information, give the manual parts of UnErase a try.

Brian Yoder

--
-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-
| Brian Yoder                 | answers *byoder();                            |

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (05/03/90)

In article <1990May2.213153.19997@smcnet.smc.edu> byoder@smcnet.smc.edu (Brian Yoder) writes:
>In article <3520@tymix.UUCP> pnelson@hobbes.UUCP (Phil Nelson) writes:
>>The end result is that my file now has length = 0. Norton says there is
>>nothing to read, but I don't believe him. Can anyone help?
>
>I wish you had included more information about exactly what happened, but from
>the sounds of it you might be able to use Norton UnErase to manually
>unerase the part of the file you downloaded.
>Brian Yoder

   The more precise procedure, is to come up with informations strings of text
or data that are in the file, a phrase or something (it helps but isn't needed)
You'll select the whole data partition, & search for that string.  When finding
it, you need to make a map of the file location.  The go into unerase, & type
the 'file' map into unerase, and save the file.
   Unfortunately, I have yet to see a case (& I do this daily) where any
version of norton will/can automatically add clusters to recovering a LOST
file.  As a matter of fact, I have kept the old versions of norton because
in MANY ways they work BETTER for doing this. (are u listening ?)  I find the
file w/the new, then recover it with the old.  Sad but true.   I also own
PCTools version 5.0, While I like the the windowing system much better than the
norton commander & stuff  (still, are u listening); & the performance is better
as a recovery program pctools didn't last the first week.
   My shrink wrap on the mac utilities is about to be ripped open, first chance
I get.  If it fills the voids caused by the pain in the axx from the bugs &
things in the old & new versions of norton, my norton will be up for sale,
cheap.  If not, well another one bites the dust & more job security for me.

al

byoder@smcnet.smc.edu (Brian Yoder) (05/05/90)

In article <3155@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
>In article <1990May2.213153.19997@smcnet.smc.edu> byoder@smcnet.smc.edu (Brian Yoder) writes:
>>In article <3520@tymix.UUCP> pnelson@hobbes.UUCP (Phil Nelson) writes:
>>>The end result is that my file now has length = 0. Norton says there is
>>>nothing to read, but I don't believe him. Can anyone help?

>>I wish you had included more information about exactly what happened, but from
>>the sounds of it you might be able to use Norton UnErase to manually
>>unerase the part of the file you downloaded.

>   The more precise procedure, is to come up with informations strings of text
>or data that are in the file, a phrase or something (it helps but isn't needed)
>You'll select the whole data partition, & search for that string.  When finding
>it, you need to make a map of the file location.  The go into unerase, & type
>the 'file' map into unerase, and save the file.
>   Unfortunately, I have yet to see a case (& I do this daily) where any
>version of norton will/can automatically add clusters to recovering a LOST
>file.

You are correct, there is no AUTOMATIC way to find and add lost clusters
because there's no information on which to operate.

>As a matter of fact, I have kept the old versions of norton because
>in MANY ways they work BETTER for doing this. (are u listening ?)

Yup. I'm listening. Objection Noted.

>I find the
>file w/the new, then recover it with the old.  Sad but true.   I also own
>PCTools version 5.0, While I like the the windowing system much better than the
>norton commander & stuff  (still, are u listening);

I hear you. We are always working to improve our interface (and the guts too).
If you have any specific recommendations (or gripes) please pass them along.

>& the performance is better
>as a recovery program pctools didn't last the first week.

Thanks.

>   My shrink wrap on the mac utilities is about to be ripped open, first chance
>I get.

I hope you are talking about our Mac utilities.  I have been testing them
for a few weeks and they are (if I do say so myself) outstanding.
It'll be worth the wait.

Just in case you are interested, we just announced the impending release of
Norton Utilities for unix too.  We have been busy beavers around here
lately!

Brian Yoder

--
-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-

georgf@polari.UUCP (George Forsman) (05/07/90)

In article <3155@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
>In article <1990May2.213153.19997@smcnet.smc.edu> byoder@smcnet.smc.edu (Brian Yoder) writes:
>>In article <3520@tymix.UUCP> pnelson@hobbes.UUCP (Phil Nelson) writes:
>>>The end result is that my file now has length = 0. Norton says there is
>>>nothing to read, but I don't believe him. Can anyone help?
>>
>>I wish you had included more information about exactly what happened, but from
>>the sounds of it you might be able to use Norton UnErase to manually
>>unerase the part of the file you downloaded.
>>Brian Yoder
>
>   The more precise procedure, is to come up with informations strings of text
>or data that are in the file, a phrase or something (it helps but isn't needed)
>You'll select the whole data partition, & search for that string.  When finding

If I recall correctly, the original problem was that the disk filled up.  This
mean that ALL free clusters were originally a part of this file. To
recover the whole file simply write a program that opens a file, and seeks to
a point that would encompass the entire disk free space, force THAT to be
the EOF (under MS-DOS, write a 0 length block) and close the file.  Note that
this procedure >never writes to the file<. The resulting file should contain
the data that originally filled the clusters.  I have not done this myself,
so it'd be a good idea to try it out on, say, a floppy.

Another idea is to run CHKDSK.  If the clusters where just dis-associated(?)
with the file, then CHKDSK will show them as a lost chain, and happily create
a FILE0000.chk for you that contains those lost clusters.

Good Luck!

--
George Forsman  |  georgf@polari.uucp | "I know that you think you understand
...!uw-beaver!sumax!polari!georgf     | what you thought I said, but I am not