[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM System 36 & RPG application

kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) (05/06/90)

I recently came across an IBM System 36, with which I am completely
unfamiliar. It is running a custom application, apparently written in RPG.

I would like to know what sort of o/s the 36 is likely to be running, and
how difficult it would be to expand it's storage capacity (I don't know what
it has now - only that it isn't enough :-))

I need this kind of information in order to make decisions about whether or
not the old system is worth expanding/updating, or should simply be scrapped.
I believe it's 4-5 years old, but can't be certain.

Anyone out there familiar with the 36?

    Ken McVay ~ 1B Systems Management Limited ~ uunet!van-bc!oneb!kmcvay
    IMEx 89:681/1  EggNet 99:9304/41   |  Canada's FrontDoor Distributor

ela@bdgltd.UUCP (Ed Ackerman Programmer) (05/07/90)

In article <22@oneb.UUCP> kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) writes:
>I recently came across an IBM System 36, with which I am completely
>unfamiliar. It is running a custom application, apparently written in RPG.
>
>I would like to know what sort of o/s the 36 is likely to be running, and
>how difficult it would be to expand it's storage capacity (I don't know what
>it has now - only that it isn't enough :-))

The S/36 runs somthing called SSP. It doesn't look like anything and resembles
a lot of OS's. MSDOS batch files, OS/MVS JCL to name a few. IF you can find
a replacement drive it shouldn't be to difficult provided you have all
the disks that make up the OS and whatever other packages there are on the
beast. It will take at least one day to install all the software. The OS
comes on 15-20 8" floppies. VERY SLOOOOW. Is it still under an IBM Service
contract? I used to work on one the 'baby' 36 the size of a 2 drawer file
cabinet. 512k memory 60meg drive  I don't know about more RAM it probably
will require an additional card I don't know what is involved in seting one
up. They just plug in but whether or not the machine will recognize it is
another story

Ed Ackerman                               | It is impossible to make anything
bdgltd!ela@dsi.com or ...!dsinc!bdgltd!ela|  foolproof beacause fools are
#include <StdDisclaimer>                  |           SO ingenious!