[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Harddrive led won't stop

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (05/02/90)

> This is quite normal for most AT hard disks.  The controller is in 'latched'
> mode and keeps the last physical drive selected until another physical
> drive is
> selected.  If you only have one hard disk then the drive will remain selected
> until you turn off the computer.  I use a WD controller and it has
> a jumper to
> enable/disable the latched mode.  I have no idea why they have this latched
> mode.  The only possibility would be speed but surely it doesn't take
> that long just to select the drive.

I use a DTC 6280 and it also has a jumper to enable/disable the latched mode.
I tried to disable the latched mode once and the disk runs a LOT SLOWER.
Very noticeable difference.  It probably do more than just select the drive;
probably keep the drive in a ready state (may be high speed spinning ??
-- can hard disk be slowed down and placed in a sleep mode by the
controller ? -- sounds reasonable if they are to be usable in a
portable computer).

Anyway, it is normal.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (05/05/90)

In article <10090@sdcc6.ucsd.edu+, cs163wbf@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (RICHARD WUN) writes:
+ I have a miniscribe 20Mb hard drive with the led on the drive not
+ stopping once it's starts booting.  When I turn on the power
+ everythnig is normal and the hard drive is booted when there isn't a
+ disk in the floppy drive, but then the light on the drive doesn't go
+ off after that.  The drive is reading and writing with no problems.
[deleted]

It could just be that you have it configured as a RADIAL system. If so,
you won't have any problems till you try to add a second drive, then
you may have to swap some jumpers around.

Dave E.

pohjala@kannel.lut.fi (Janne Pohjala) (05/07/90)

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) writes:

>In article <10090@sdcc6.ucsd.edu+, cs163wbf@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (RICHARD WUN) writes:
>+ I have a miniscribe 20Mb hard drive with the led on the drive not
>+ stopping once it's starts booting.  When I turn on the power
>+ everythnig is normal and the hard drive is booted when there isn't a
>+ disk in the floppy drive, but then the light on the drive doesn't go
>+ off after that.  The drive is reading and writing with no problems.
>[deleted]

            		On the other hand...

	It could be selected-drive led...  At least Toshiba MK134FA
	has one red led in front of drive showing wether the drive is
	selected active by controller. In case of one hard-drive, the
	only disk is always selected = led is on.

	If you add more drives in same controller, "active led" should
	go on and off in drives when changing drives...

	So if you got " HD active indicator " led from controller and
	it seems to work properly, everything is OK. Don't worry. Be happy !

						   Janne Pohjala

	     Lappeenranta University Of Technology,  FINLAND

	PS. Some disk-caches cause "all drives selected" - phenomenon
	    Don't worry about that either.