[comp.sys.ibm.pc] only gets 20 meg from 40 meg drive?

NETOPRDO@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (05/06/90)

One friend says I need a new controller card.  The other friend says
I can partition it with Disk Manager, Fdisk, or Debug and get 40 meg.
But I've already tried doing that with no success.  Maybe I did some
thing wrong.  Who is right? Do I need a new controller card?

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (05/07/90)

In article <90125.152853NETOPRDO@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu> NETOPRDO@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu writes:
<One friend says I need a new controller card.  The other friend says
<I can partition it with Disk Manager, Fdisk, or Debug and get 40 meg.
<But I've already tried doing that with no success.  Maybe I did some
<thing wrong.  Who is right? Do I need a new controller card?

A combination of all off the above.  It all depends on your controller card
and the software (DOS) that you are using.

If your controller card is old enough, it doesn't have the firmware programing
to understand 40 Mb drives.  Look at the manual for the controller card.  If
you don't have one, then you will probably need a new contoller card.  If you
have the manual, check it over carefully, as you may need to set some switches
to get the card to work with the HD.  The previous is in regards to XT style
PCs.  If you have an AT style PC, then you can configure the PC to use the 40
meg drive.

But, once you get the PC to "see" the 40 meg drive, you still need the DOS that
will allow you to partition the whole drive for 40 Mb.  PC-DOS 3.30 will allow
you to make multiple 32 Mb partitions, or in your case I suggest two 20 Mb
partitions.  If you have MS-DOS 3.31, or later, then you can partition the
whole drive.  Keep in mind that MS-DOS versions are not all the same.  The one
that I mentioned is the one that I have used from Compaq.

Good luck.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\         spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

steve@wintermute.ucsd.edu ({Darkavich}) (05/07/90)

In article <90125.152853NETOPRDO@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu> NETOPRDO@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu writes:
>One friend says I need a new controller card.  The other friend says
>I can partition it with Disk Manager, Fdisk, or Debug and get 40 meg.
>But I've already tried doing that with no success.  Maybe I did some
>thing wrong.  Who is right? Do I need a new controller card?

Could you tell us more about your computer?
What type of computer and what kind of hardrive and HD controller
More than likely you are just telling the software you have a smaller hard
drive than you do.  But with out knowing what hardware you have, I cann't
help.

Steve Misrack
steve@ucsd.edu