[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is it [orientation] harmful to

byer@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (05/06/90)

I thought about turning my machine on its side, called seven different
manufacturers and 15 different computer store technical/service departments.

No consensus, but the majority tended to "guess" that unless the machine
was designed or engineered to stand on end (i.e. IBM PS/2), it probably
wouldn't be the best thing in the world.  Makes good common sense to me.

Matt Byer
byer@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

herrj@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jonathan R. Herr) (05/07/90)

In article <19500066@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> byer@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I thought about turning my machine on its side, called seven different
>manufacturers and 15 different computer store technical/service departments.
>
>No consensus, but the majority tended to "guess" that unless the machine
>was designed or engineered to stand on end (i.e. IBM PS/2), it probably
>wouldn't be the best thing in the world.  Makes good common sense to me.
>

>Matt Byer
>byer@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

Common sense?  C'mon!  I can understand the worry about the drive
heads on a drive not quite being in alignment with a previously
different orientation.  The only thing I could possibly see as
"harmful" would be warping the cards due to gravity and maybe heat.
I don't think gravity will have much the same effect on the travel
of electrons.  Of course, there is the possibility of additions to
the machine that may specify an orietation.

This is getting to be like the "half full/half empty" debate.  If you
don't feel comfortable putting your machine on it's side, don't!  I've
got two machines.  One's been sitting horizontally for the last nine
months and the other on its side(although, not running.)  The first
has been running for 90+ hours a week while the other is just sitting
after having been thought to be destroyed by heat from a house fire.
Both are working just fine(I just tested the mother board and cards
today.).  If one gives out because of its orientation, I'll be sure to
let everyone know and extend a thousand apologies.

==|Jonathan R. Herr|---|herrj@silver.ucs.indiana.edu|---|Standard Disclaimer|==
=    And If you feel that you can't go on.  And, your will is sinking low.    =
=  Just believe and you can't go wrong.  In the light you will find the road. =
================================|Led Zeppelin|=================================

jh5y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jordan Powell Hargrave) (05/07/90)

I've had my PC (Zeos '286) on it's side for almost a year now, with no
problems. IMHO, there is no reason why standing a computer on its side should
cause problems, I mean, look at tower systems; their motherboards and cards
are oriented that way. Some systems even orient the drives vertically, too.

Oh, well, just my 2 shillings and 6 pence worth. :->

*/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\** Jordan Hargrave  | Email:               |USnail: Jordan Hargrave             ** Carnegie Mellon  | jh5y+@andrew.cmu.edu |        1000 Morewood Ave Box 3277  **                  |                      |        Pittsburgh, PA 15213        ** \/\/\/\/\- Today has been cancelled due to lack of interest. -/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/*

lord@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dave Lord) (05/07/90)

Well NCR apparently approves placing their PC's either on their
side or on end. In our facility I'd say 90% are standing on end.
Recently some of the service people from another facility have
noticed a rash of hard drive failures in systems standing on the
floor. They note that in every case the inside of the system was
extremely dusty and blame the problem on dust. Don't know what brand
of disk drives are being used.