[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SCSI questions

neese@adaptex.UUCP (05/01/90)

>/* ---------- "SCSI questions" ---------- */
>
>I am running a 386SX C&T machine configured as follows:
>          80387SX coprocessor.
>          2 ESDI hard disk units. attached to WD1007 controller.
>          8 Mb of ram.
>          VGA color monitor (256Kb).
>          2  FDU's 1.44 Mb and 1.2 Mb.
>All the above is running perfect under MSDOS, OS/2 and UNIX System
>V/386.
>
>Now my problem:
>         After adding an Adaptec 1542A SCSI hostadapter and a SCSI
>           streaming tape device (TANDBERG), it is not possible to
>         enable this SCSI device. UNIX does see the hostadapter and
>         I am able to install St0, but when I ask  for tape rewind or
>         tape retension there is a PANIC stop and UNIX dumps about 2000
>         blocks to disk.
>
>When I run the Adaptec bios from debug under MSDOS, then I get:
>
>          Vendor ID             Product ID
>         TANDBERG              TDC360092x4180
>
>and then
>Time out error
>Scsi inquiry command
>Error on port i/o with host adapter

The error here may have to do with a tape not being loaded in the tape drive.
Try that.

>Questions:
>           1: Can ESDI and SCSI controllers both be in one machine ?

Yes.

>           2: Do I need device drivers for UNIX and/or MSDOS ?

For tape operation under DOS you will need the ASW-1410 SCSI Manager and
ASW-210 Sy-Tos Tape Software package.  For ISC V2.0.1 and >, no drivers
required.

>           3: What can I be doing wrong ?

Tough one.  The Tandberg tape driver has been thoroughly bashed about on the
AHA-154xA adapter.  Is the firmware on the 154xA Rev C (located at U13 part
number 420504-00 C)?  If not, then you need to contact 408-945-8600 and ask
for a firmware upgrade.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese
				uunet!swbatl!texbell!merch!adaptex!neese

feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) (05/03/90)

I have a similar problem with a SCSI bus connectd to two 1542a
controllers and 1 Connor SCSI disk. One controller works correctly
while the other cannot access the disk.
--
Phone:	 (home) 219-482-9631
E-mail:	feustel@well.sf.ca.us	{ucbvax,apple,hplabs,pacbell}!well!feustel

civben@utrcu1.UUCP (Ben Helthuis) (05/04/90)

In article <27800011@adaptex>, neese@adaptex.UUCP writes:

> >/* ---------- "SCSI questions" ---------- */
> >
> >When I run the Adaptec bios from debug under MSDOS, then I get:
> >
> >          Vendor ID             Product ID
> >----------------------------------------------------
> >         TANDBERG              TDC360092x4180
> >
> >and then
> >Time out error
> >Scsi inquiry command
> >Error on port i/o with host adapter
>
> The error here may have to do with a tape not being loaded in the tape drive.
> Try that.

Result is negative . Please note that my only SCSI device is the tape
drive.
.
> >           2: Do I need device drivers for UNIX and/or MSDOS ?
>
> For tape operation under DOS you will need the ASW-1410 SCSI Manager and
> ASW-210 Sy-Tos Tape Software package.  For ISC V2.0.1 and >, no drivers
> required.

Do these packages come with Sy-tos ?
My local store here up in Holland never heard about ASW-1410 and
ASW-210.
> >           3: What can I be doing wrong ?
>
> Tough one.  The Tandberg tape driver has been thoroughly bashed about on the
> AHA-154xA adapter.  Is the firmware on the 154xA Rev C (located at U13 part
> number 420504-00 C)?  If not, then you need to contact 408-945-8600 and ask
> for a firmware upgrade.

The firmware on the 154xA Rev C is oke (420504-00 C).

Roy, in the first place I want to thank you very much for picking up my
problem. After changing the tape driver's address from 0 to 1, UNIX has
no problems any more to reach the tape drive. But running debug in DOS
still gives the same results (see above).
Questions:
                 1: Will the BIOS test function with only a streaming
                    tape device ?
                 2: Are the packages ASW-1410 and ASW-210 free ? They
                    didn't come with my Adaptec 1542A.
                 3: Are the above numbers DEVICE DRIVERS ? And if they
                    are free can you send them over the net????
                    I called your technical bulletin board and picked
                    the 154XA Users manual of. But I couldn't find anything
                    about a SCSI manager. Telephon costs from Holland
                    were about $35,-. Maybe you know some addresses in
                    Europe were I can buy(get) this software.

                                                  Regards Ben Helthuis.

neese@adaptex.UUCP (05/07/90)

>In article <27800011@adaptex>, neese@adaptex.UUCP writes:
>>
>> >/* ---------- "SCSI questions" ---------- */
>> >
>> >When I run the Adaptec bios from debug under MSDOS, then I get:
>> >
>> >          Vendor ID             Product ID
>> >----------------------------------------------------
>> >         TANDBERG              TDC360092x4180
>> >
>> >and then
>> >Time out error
>> >Scsi inquiry command
>> >Error on port i/o with host adapter
>>
>> The error here may have to do with a tape not being loaded in the tape drive.
>> Try that.
>
>Result is negative . Please note that my only SCSI device is the tape
>drive.
>.
>> >           2: Do I need device drivers for UNIX and/or MSDOS ?
>>
>> For tape operation under DOS you will need the ASW-1410 SCSI Manager and
>> ASW-210 Sy-Tos Tape Software package.  For ISC V2.0.1 and >, no drivers
>> required.
>>
>Do these packages come with Sy-tos ?

The ASW-1410 is just a SCSI Manager that is required for adding the various
hardware to the adapters under DOS.  It contains support for more than two
hard drives in the system and support for multiple adapters as well.
The ASW-210 does contain Sy-Tos.  It is not Sy-Tos Plus.  This will be
available as soon as Sy-Tos Plus is available and will be called ASW-310.

>My local store here up in Holland never heard about ASW-1410 and
>ASW-210.
>> >           3: What can I be doing wrong ?
>>
>> Tough one.  The Tandberg tape driver has been thoroughly bashed about on the
>> AHA-154xA adapter.  Is the firmware on the 154xA Rev C (located at U13 part
>> number 420504-00 C)?  If not, then you need to contact 408-945-8600 and ask
>> for a firmware upgrade.
>
>The firmware on the 154xA Rev C is oke (420504-00 C).
>
>Roy, in the first place I want to thank you very much for picking up my
>problem. After changing the tape driver's address from 0 to 1, UNIX has
>no problems any more to reach the tape drive. But running debug in DOS
>still gives the same results (see above).
>Questions:
>                 1: Will the BIOS test function with only a streaming
>                    tape device ?

The BIOS functions are not any type of tape device.  Now I see the problem.
Target ID's 0 and 1 are primarily allocated by the BIOS for hard drives.
If you have another type of device at these addresses, then you would see
similar problems you have seen.  The BIOS utilities are really for formatting
a hard drive and that's about it.

>                 2: Are the packages ASW-1410 and ASW-210 free ? They
>                    didn't come with my Adaptec 1542A.

No, they are not free.  They are not expensive either.  Although the ASW-1410
is more expensive than the other ASW- numbers as it contains support for
more than two hard drives, an fdisk/formatter program and the INT13 driver
as well.  ASW-210 cannot be free because Sy-Tos wants thier royalty.

>                 3: Are the above numbers DEVICE DRIVERS ? And if they
>                    are free can you send them over the net????
>                    I called your technical bulletin board and picked
>                    the 154XA Users manual of. But I couldn't find anything
>                    about a SCSI manager. Telephon costs from Holland
>                    were about $35,-. Maybe you know some addresses in
>                    Europe were I can buy(get) this software.

They are device drivers.  In Europe you might call 011-32-2-660-2916.  This
is our Europe sales office number and they may be able to help you locate
these packages.