[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What's in Your Fix-It Kit?

djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (05/03/90)

You've been there...the call comes in...HELP!  Something's wrong with this
dumb {computer|software|monitor}!  Since the afflicted party is some distance
away, your grab for your handy fix-it kit and take off...

But what's in your kit?  I'd like to informally poll the NetMind to find out
what other support folks bring to the scene of the crime, as it were.
I know I'll learn something, and I'll post a summary to the net after a week
or so.  For starters, my little black bag has...

   Your basic zipper pouch tool kit
   A write-protected diskette with John McAfee's SCAN and CLEANP programs
   Three 360K diskettes with working copies of Norton Utils, V4.5
   A copy of Central Point's MI.COM to peek into memory usage
   A copy of PC SHELL for file and subdirectory manipulation
   A copy of Disk Manager
   A copy of an AT setup program, origin unknown

Of course, I leave the original disks back at the ranch and work with
disposable copies, which has saved me more than once!  What else do you
folks bring along?

"Moby" Dick O'Connor                          ** The only difference between
Washington Department of Fisheries            ** a lazy man on a riverbank
Olympia, Washington  98504                    ** and a fisherman is a pole
Internet Mail: djo7613@hardy.u.washington.edu ** and a length of string.

wargopl@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Peter L. Wargo) (05/04/90)

From article <6858@blake.acs.washington.edu>, by djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor):
> You've been there...the call comes in...HELP!  Something's wrong with this
> dumb {computer|software|monitor}!  Since the afflicted party is some distance
> away, your grab for your handy fix-it kit and take off...
>
> But what's in your kit?  I'd like to informally poll the NetMind to find out
> what other support folks bring to the scene of the crime, as it were.
> I know I'll learn something, and I'll post a summary to the net after a week
> or so.  For starters, my little black bag has...
>
>    Your basic zipper pouch tool kit
>    A write-protected diskette with John McAfee's SCAN and CLEANP programs
>    Three 360K diskettes with working copies of Norton Utils, V4.5
>    A copy of Central Point's MI.COM to peek into memory usage
>    A copy of PC SHELL for file and subdirectory manipulation
>    A copy of Disk Manager
>    A copy of an AT setup program, origin unknown

Add to that the following:

    A LARGE ROLL OF DUCT TAPE!
    Contact cleaner
    Assorted RAM chips of 64K - 1M bit types
    (Make sure they work)
    A digital Multimeter
    A copy of PKZIP, PKARC, and ZOO
    A version of DOS w/o disk manager.
    (I use Zenith's 3.3+)
    Spinrite/Spintest
    And, for those frustrating failures, a small, rubber mallet...

Pete

--
Peter L. Wargo - wargopl@sun.soe.clarkson.edu, amoung others...
"I don't believe it - I just spent 4 years at an expensive university-

rreiner@yunexus.UUCP (Richard Reiner) (05/04/90)

Add:

-Joan Riff's Diagnostics (excellent all-round PC diags)
-HDTEST (hard disk diags + performance tests + interleave tweaking...)
-Qedit (they *never* have an editor)
-a copy of DOS with CED and FILEC (they *never* have a civilized command line
environment)
-the PiCnix utilities (why mess with ugly command.com more than you have to?)

byoder@smcnet.smc.edu (Brian Yoder) (05/05/90)

In article <1990May3.212119.12846@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> wargopl@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Peter L. Wargo) writes:
>From article <6858@blake.acs.washington.edu>, by djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor):
>> But what's in your kit?  I'd like to informally poll the NetMind to find out
>> what other support folks bring to the scene of the crime, as it were.
>> I know I'll learn something, and I'll post a summary to the net after a week
>> or so.  For starters, my little black bag has...

>>    Your basic zipper pouch tool kit
>>    A write-protected diskette with John McAfee's SCAN and CLEANP programs
>>    Three 360K diskettes with working copies of Norton Utils, V4.5
>>    A copy of Central Point's MI.COM to peek into memory usage
>>    A copy of PC SHELL for file and subdirectory manipulation
>>    A copy of Disk Manager
>>    A copy of an AT setup program, origin unknown

>Add to that the following:

>    A LARGE ROLL OF DUCT TAPE!
>    Contact cleaner
>    Assorted RAM chips of 64K - 1M bit types
>    (Make sure they work)
>    A digital Multimeter
>    A copy of PKZIP, PKARC, and ZOO
>    A version of DOS w/o disk manager.
>    (I use Zenith's 3.3+)
>    Spinrite/Spintest
>    And, for those frustrating failures, a small, rubber mallet...

My first aid kit also contains:

	A copy of Norton Commander (instead of that nasty CPS thing ;-)
	A Small Flashlight
	A Micronta pocket microscope(comes in handy more often than you'd think)
	DISSASEM disassembler
	OBJASM object module disassembler
	PD versions of the unix utilities cp, rm, and grep

I hope that helps.

Brian Yoder
--
-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-
| Brian Yoder                 | answers *byoder();                            |

jfm@hasty.med.unc.edu (John F. Miller) (05/07/90)

Aspirin.

  John F. Miller
  Department of Pharmacology, UNC-CH School of Medicine
  1026A FLOB  (231H) CB#7365, Chapel Hill, NC  27599    Tel: (919) 966-6966

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) (05/07/90)

jfm@uncmed.med.unc.edu (John F. Miller) writes:
>Aspirin.

A two-by-four.
* Internet: keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu * and if you said jump in   *         *
* Usenet:   ...!pyramid!rex!keating   *       the river I would   * John W. *
* Bitnet:   CS6HECU@TCSMUSA (caps!!)  * because it would probably * Keating *
* CI$:      73737,733                 *       be a good idea.     *   III   *
* Flames:   /dev/null                 *          -Sinead O'Connor *         *

einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) (05/08/90)

Don't forget:
	DEBUG.COM	Yes, the small debugger from Micro-Soft.
	(EDLIN.COM)	But only if there is no editor that you know how
to operate.  The size is a factor here.

--
I just learned a new curse: "You #$@! son of SCROLLBAR!"

Internet:       einari@rhi.hi.is   | 'Just give me my command line and throw
UUCP: ..!mcsun!isgate!rhi!einari   | the GUIs in the dust-bin!!!!!!!!!'