[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Word Processor for Kids -- Recommendations Wanted

dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) (05/03/90)

Does anyone know of any shareware (or inexpensive) word
processors for kids (age 10 or so)?  It should be REALLY
simple and goof-proof.  I use Microsoft Word, but this
is way beyond them.  Even PFS Write is too complicated.

Thanks for your inputs.

David Barnes
UUCP: {pyramid,sri-unix,ingr}!apd!dbarnes     415/852-2365
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA  94303

sonny@solaria.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (05/07/90)

In article <259@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
>Does anyone know of any shareware (or inexpensive) word
>processors for kids (age 10 or so)?  It should be REALLY
>simple and goof-proof.  I use Microsoft Word, but this

Dave,
	You might take a look in Simtel directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDUCATION>.
I see one called KIDSWP.ARC advertised as a Shareware Child's Word
Processor. Seems like there used to be one that I took a look at one
time called WPK (Word Processor for Kids) and it was something like
what you are looking for. I thought it was on Simtel also but do not
see it listed in the EDUCATION directory nor EDITOR directory.
	Hope this helps. Good luck.

Bob Davis			 \\\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation, ESS		  \\\	 UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny
Advanced Technology Department	   \\\ AETHER : K4VNO
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912		    \\\	VOICE : (407) 727-5886
Melbourne, FL 32902		     \\\  FAX : (407) 729-2537

jeff@carroll1.cc.edu (Jeff Bartig) (05/07/90)

In article <259@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
>Does anyone know of any shareware (or inexpensive) word
>processors for kids (age 10 or so)?  It should be REALLY
>simple and goof-proof.  I use Microsoft Word, but this
>is way beyond them.  Even PFS Write is too complicated.

One program that I remember being used in the elementary schools in
my home town was Bank Street Writer.  This program was very easy
to use.  I believe the list price was under $100.  It was available
for the IBM, Apple II, and C64.

Jeff

--
 Jeff Bartig, Carroll College   |     "The sooner you fall
 jeff@carroll1.cc.edu           |   behind, the more time you

morash@ug.cs.dal.ca (Dave Morash) (05/08/90)

In article <3601@trantor.harris-atd.com> sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:
>In article <259@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
>Dave,
>	You might take a look in Simtel directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDUCATION>.
>I see one called KIDSWP.ARC advertised as a Shareware Child's Word
>Processor. Seems like there used to be one that I took a look at one
>time called WPK (Word Processor for Kids) and it was something like
>what you are looking for. I thought it was on Simtel also but do not

These are one and the same.
--
dalcs!dalcsug!morash@uunet.uu.net | dalcs!dalcsug!morash@watmath.waterloo.edu
morash%dalcsug@dalcs.uucp         | morash%dalcsug%dalcs@watmath.uucp