[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Jove 4.14

reisert@tallis.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (05/08/90)

Hi,

I just picked up a copy of Jove 4.14 from SIMTEL20.  I'm curious as to what
the differences are between it and the Jove I downloaded in March, 1988.
I'm not too crazy about the way the documentation was done this time, but
that's a story for another day...

thanks...jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@tallis.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!tallis.enet!reisert
295 Foster Street
P.O. Box 1123
Littleton, MA  01460

chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) (05/08/90)

Looking for small-scale room reservation software, preferably built on
top of some DBMS, such as dbase.  Suggestions?

 - Gary Chapman, chapman@nyu.edu

cs480125@umbc5.umbc.edu (Peter Johansson) (05/08/90)

reisert@tallis.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) writes:

>I just picked up a copy of Jove 4.14 from SIMTEL20.  I'm curious as to what
>the differences are between it and the Jove I downloaded in March, 1988.
>I'm not too crazy about the way the documentation was done this time, but
>that's a story for another day...

I wondered this very same thing when I looked at the new version.  I
would assume the sources document changes, but it's rather wastefull
to send several hundred K-bytes across the net for that purpose alone.

So, I just ran diff on the file "cmds.doc" to see what commands were
added.  This was quite some time ago and I remember it not being as
easy as it sounds - that I needed to run the files through a sed
script to get them in the same format.  But hey, you are in luck, I
saved the output for posterity (and the fact that it took me several
hours to produce...)

Commands in 4.9 not in 4.14
---------------------------
entry "prefix-1" "Command"
entry "prefix-2" "Command"
entry "prefix-3" "Command"
entry "ansi-codes" "Command"

Commands new to 4.14
--------------------
entry "bind-keymap-to-key" "Command"
entry "c-argument-indentation" "Variable"
entry "dbx-format-string" "Variable"
entry "make-keymap" "Command"
entry "process-bind-keymap-to-key" "Command"
entry "process-dbx-output" "Command"
entry "read-only-mode" "Command"
entry "shift-region-left" "Command"
entry "shift-region-right" "Command"
entry "stop-process" "Command"

A few things to note:

1) Most of the new commands (relating to process control) are
unsupported under messy-dos.

2) The C-mode variables to control formatting have changed.  I don't
remember exactly how, but the function descriptions do a "reasoanble"
job of documenting the changes.  I fixed my "jove.rc" and everything
was hunky-dory

3) The shift-region-[left|right] commands are most usefull when
editing programs.

Unfortunately, it seems as if a few bugs have been introduced.  :-(

While most are quite minor (they existed in all previous versions I
have used, so I just work arround them) there is one that does annoy
me.  When running a subshell (either through shell-command or make) a
filename passed to Jove is used as the executable name.  That doesn't
sound too clear (at least to me, and I wrote it) so let me give an
example.

Assume you have a "/bin" directory in you path with at least two
executables, jove.exe and ls.exe.  From any directory, bring up jove
with the command "jove t.t" Invoke shell-command, either from a
function key if you have it bound, or from execute-named-command
(ESC x) and send the command "ls" to the shell.  Jove parses the name
of the file you put on _Jove's_ command line as the name of the file
to execute, e.g. if you were in /tmp and brought up Jove with
"jove t.t", shell-command(ed) "ls", Jove would give the error:
c:/tmp/t.t not found.

Previous versions of Jove didn't have this bug, and since I'm not
running any kind of fancy shell (csh, 4dos, etc) this is most likely a
bona-fide bug.

You can work arround the problem by bringing up Jove with no filenames
or options and then load files as you need them, but that's a pain...
However, having tried MicroEmacs, Freemacs, and ME_CD, I *still*
prefer Jove despite its bugs and peculiarities.

--
Peter Johansson                   "If cartoons were meant for adults,
cs480125@umbc5.umbc.edu            they'd put them on in prime time."

rreiner@yunexus.UUCP (Richard Reiner) (05/08/90)

cs480125@umbc5.umbc.edu (Peter Johansson) writes:

>Unfortunately, it seems as if a few bugs have been introduced.  :-(

>When running a subshell (either through shell-command or make) a
>filename passed to Jove is used as the executable name.  That doesn't
>sound too clear (at least to me, and I wrote it) so let me give an
>example.

I've fixed this (and one or two other small things).  I've discussed
this with Jonathan Payne, and offered to send my changes to be merged
into the distribution, but he didn't seem enthusiastic (perhaps he's
just busy).

Anyway, my fixes are available on request.  I'll send a tar.Z.uu file
to any requestors.

--richard