[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Some of Seagate's ST251-1's running at 40ms

scherer@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Scherer) (05/05/90)

     I have experienced a problem now over the last 6 months that I found
     very interesting and wondered if anyone else has had.

     I've purchase about 20 Seagate ST251-1 drives and found that they all
     worked well but when I ran benchmarks on 3 of them they were really
     ST251 (40ms) drives.  The cases were marked as -1's though.  When I
     received the first drive that was marked wrong I called the vendor
     and he thought I was crazy but I insisted he replace the drive.  When
     I received the new drive it seeked at 28ms.  The vendor said Seagate
     must have marked it wrong.  Two days ago I bought 3 drives and ran
     Checkit and Spinrite on 2 of the ST251-1's and they both benchmarked
     at 48ms seek time.  These drives were purchased from a different vendor
     than the one I used when I had this problem originally.

	What's going on with Seagate!  It's one way for them to get rid of
ST251's left over.

steve@wintermute.ucsd.edu ({Darkavich}) (05/07/90)

In article <1806@nems.dt.navy.mil> scherer@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Doug Scherer) writes:

>     I have experienced a problem now over the last 6 months that I found
>     very interesting and wondered if anyone else has had.
>
>     I've purchase about 20 Seagate ST251-1 drives and found that they all
>     worked well but when I ran benchmarks on 3 of them they were really
>     ST251 (40ms) drives.  The cases were marked as -1's though.
>
>	What's going on with Seagate!  It's one way for them to get rid of
>ST251's left over.

Well, there are two thing that you need to make sure that you have done.
The first is to make sure you have a 1:1 interleave controller card in your
computer.  If you do then you need to make sure that the hard drive was
low-level formated with an interleave of 1:1.  If the former is not true
then you need to buy a new controller card and re-low-level format the
drive.  (Make back-ups!!!!!).  If the latter is true then all you need to
do is use a program like Optune from Gazzelle software and it will
re-format the drive with a inter-leave of 1:1 or tell you what the best
interleave should be.  (Eventhough it does it with out corrupting the data
on the drive it is still a good idea to make back-ups)

Know a question for those people out there that can help.

BTW.  I have a seagate 251 and a 1:1 interleave controller and the drive is
partitioned 2 meg, 20 meg, and 20 meg.  I formated it with a 3:1 interleave
like seagate says.  After running optune on it it still tells me 1:1 is
best.  I re-formated the C drive and it knows runs at (17ms) according to
QAplus.  I do not have benchmark so I cann't tell it that is the true ms
time.  Norton's (si) tells me 3.7 so it is right around 28ms or less.  I
keep forgetting my conversions.  Anyway my question is using Optune, I try
to re-tune the D and E drive but it tells me that I must turn off disk
caching first!  I have no disk cache, neither in memory or in set-up.
I have an AT-12mhz with AMI BIOS.  I have removed everything from memory
except my disk manager software.  The only thing I can think of is that I
have a 0 wait state machine and maybe it uses cache to achive this and the
software is seeing this assuming it is disk cache.  Does anyone else know
what may be wrong or experienced this problem??

Thanks,
	All help is greatly appreciated.
	Steve Misrack
	steve@ucsd.edu

scherer@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Scherer) (05/08/90)

In article <13489@ucsd.Edu> steve@wintermute.ucsd.edu ({Darkavich}) writes:
>In article <1806@nems.dt.navy.mil> scherer@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Doug Scherer) writ
>es:
>
>The first is to make sure you have a 1:1 interleave controller card in your
>computer.  If you do then you need to make sure that the hard drive was
>low-level formated with an interleave of 1:1.  If the former is not true
>then you need to buy a new controller card and re-low-level format the
Deleted Stuff
Steve Misrack >        steve@ucsd.edu

I appreciate your response but your confusing seek time and data through put.
  Interleaving does not affect seek time.  Seek time is how long it takes to
  get from cyl. A to cyl. B.   All the bench mark tests I ran calculate this
  for you.  Besides all that when I replaced the drive with another ST251-1
  the seek time went to 28ms from 48 with the same controller installed.

chao@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (05/08/90)

In article <13489@ucsd.Edu> steve@wintermute.ucsd.edu ({Darkavich}) writes:
>In article <1806@nems.dt.navy.mil> scherer@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Doug Scherer) writes:
>>     I've purchase about 20 Seagate ST251-1 drives and found that they all
>>     worked well but when I ran benchmarks on 3 of them they were really
>>     ST251 (40ms) drives.  The cases were marked as -1's though.
>
>The first is to make sure you have a 1:1 interleave controller card in your
>computer.  If you do then you need to make sure that the hard drive was
>low-level formated with an interleave of 1:1.

If I understand it correctly, the 28ms rating (251-1) is the average seek time
-- how fast the drive can move the heads.  It is the physical limitation of
the drive and has nothing to do with the interleave factor, although both
affect the throughput.

Chia-Chi     chao@ocf.berkeley.edu