[net.movies] remakes

suhre@trw-unix.UUCP (05/27/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Thu, 26-May-83 17:31:49 EDT

I nominate the Prisoner of Zenda with Stewart Granger for inclusion
as an improved remake.
					Maurice Suhre

hstrop@mhuxt.UUCP (05/27/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site mhuxt.UUCP
Posting-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site mhuxt.UUCP
Date:Fri, 27-May-83 14:43:49 EDT
Organization:Bell Labs, Murray Hill

I agree that the Prisoner of Zenda with Granger was a superior version.
That was the 4th screen version of that story!
I must disagree with Brando and Mutiny on the Bounty, though.

				mhuxt!hstrop

tugs@utcsrgv.UUCP (Stephen Hull) (05/30/83)

A remake which is just in the scriptwriting phase, but which promises to be
better than the original: Michael Ritchie is planning a remake of Lord of
the Flies, a book which I've always thought could be made into one of the
great movies of all time...
   steve hull
   decvax!utzoo!utcsrgv!tugs

ucbesvax.turner@ucbcad.UUCP (06/11/83)

#R:utcsrgv:-144300:ucbesvax:6100002:000:642
ucbesvax!turner    Jun  3 16:40:00 1983

	No way in the world could Richie do a worse job than has already
been done.  The original film is a cinematic travesty of Golding's vivid
novel.  Black and white can be great (especially when accompanied by
just the right 10 seconds of color), but not for a story that takes
place on a tropical island.  In the version I saw, the island might
as well have been off the coast of Oregon.  The acting was poor indeed.
Children can give excellent performances, but these kids didn't.  I
don't remember who made that version, but I don't suppose anyone needs
to, anyway.

	With Never A Good Word,
	    Michael Turner
	    ucbvax!ucbesvax.turner