[comp.sys.ibm.pc] INFO needed for MFM, SCSI, IDE drive

khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) (05/08/90)

1. Does any one know if we can install SCSI disk drive with MFM controller
   (WD1006V) ?

2. Can we install MFM (controller + disk drive) as drive 1 and
   SCSI (controller + disk drive) as drive 2 on the same machine
   (386) ?

3. Can we install MFM (controller + disk drive) as drive 1 and
   IDE (controller + disk drive) as drive 2 on the same machine (386) ?

Thank you for your information.

Kent Hioe
Internet: 128.149.61.1
UUCP    : ames!elroy!mona.jpl.nasa.gov!khioe

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (05/08/90)

khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) writes:

>1. Does any one know if we can install SCSI disk drive with MFM controller
>   (WD1006V) ?

Yes.  The actual nuts and bolts of doing it varies greatly from manufacturer
to manufacturer, but it can be done.

>2. Can we install MFM (controller + disk drive) as drive 1 and
>   SCSI (controller + disk drive) as drive 2 on the same machine
>   (386) ?

Drive 2 meaning the drive 2 in your BIOS?  If that's the case, no.  The reason
being that SCSI is not supported in any motherboard BIOS chip (only exception
are those odd ball motherboards that have an on-board SCSI port, and there are
a few of them).  The SCSI host adaptor will have its own on-board BIOS and how
the logical drives are mapped varies greatly from manufacturer to
manufacturer.

>3. Can we install MFM (controller + disk drive) as drive 1 and
>   IDE (controller + disk drive) as drive 2 on the same machine (386) ?

No.  The specifications for IDE (according to the Seagate IDE installation
guide) calls for either an ST412/506 or an IDE in your machine, but NEVER
both.  You choose one or the other.  Now I have been thinking since an IDE
generally appears to be a WD1006V-MM1 to the BIOS, what if I hang a
WD1006V-MM1 in my machine, but at the secondary port addresses?  Would that
work?  That I don't know yet.  I may call Western Digital and ask one of there
application engineers if that will work.  I also called ALR about using an IDE
and a WD1006V-MM1 with Novell Netware (this was back in the days when I was
totally ignorant of what the hell IDE was)...and it's a no no.  The spec for
IDE calls for either an ST412/506 or an IDE installed in your machine, NEVER
both.  But I am thinking if I can get around it with the secondary port
setting on the ST412/506 controller which may just work.

If my crazy idea will work, then you need an OS that will talk to the
controller at the secondary port address.  I know Xenix will do it, but you
have to make sure that both controllers are running off int 15 which usually
means soldering a lead to the int 15 connection on your motherboard.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Xenix is the ONLY thing
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Microsoft did right.
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

shim@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Sam Shim) (05/08/90)

In article <2575@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) writes:
>>
>>1. Does any one know if we can install SCSI disk drive with MFM controller
>>   (WD1006V) ?
>
>Yes.  The actual nuts and bolts of doing it varies greatly from manufacturer
>to manufacturer, but it can be done.

I think Kent is wondering if you can directly connect a SCSI disk drive to a
MFM ST-506/412 controller and the answer is no.

>>2. Can we install MFM (controller + disk drive) as drive 1 and
>>   SCSI (controller + disk drive) as drive 2 on the same machine
>>   (386) ?
>
>Drive 2 meaning the drive 2 in your BIOS?  If that's the case, no.  The reason
>being that SCSI is not supported in any motherboard BIOS chip (only exception
>are those odd ball motherboards that have an on-board SCSI port, and there are
>a few of them).  The SCSI host adaptor will have its own on-board BIOS and how
>the logical drives are mapped varies greatly from manufacturer to
>manufacturer.

I think what Kent meant was whether the SCSI drive can be a second drive on
a computer with a ST-506/412 MFM controller and disk drive if the SCSI drive
is connected to a SCSI controller card and I believe it is possible.

[text deleted]

>     // JCA
[sig deleted]

| Sam Shim                                 | "I am a computer consultant.      |
| EECS Departmental Computing Organization |  I deal with User IQ errors!"     |
| University of Michigan                   | "It's not a bug, it's a feature!" |
| internet: shim@eecs.umich.edu            | "A mind is a terrible thing."     |
              "Love is a shield to hide behind" - Camouflage

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (05/09/90)

shim@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Sam Shim) writes:
>>>2. Can we install MFM (controller + disk drive) as drive 1 and
>>>   SCSI (controller + disk drive) as drive 2 on the same machine
>>>   (386) ?
>>
>>Drive 2 meaning the drive 2 in your BIOS?  If that's the case, no.  The reason
>>being that SCSI is not supported in any motherboard BIOS chip (only exception
>>are those odd ball motherboards that have an on-board SCSI port, and there are
>>a few of them).  The SCSI host adaptor will have its own on-board BIOS and how
>>the logical drives are mapped varies greatly from manufacturer to
>>manufacturer.
>
>I think what Kent meant was whether the SCSI drive can be a second drive on
>a computer with a ST-506/412 MFM controller and disk drive if the SCSI drive
>is connected to a SCSI controller card and I believe it is possible.
If by second drive you mean logical drive two, no, it doesn't work that way.
Logical drive two would be the second drive on your ST412/506 MFM controller.

Logical drive 2 is also configurable from your motherboard's BIOS setup.  BIOS
chips are only aware of ST412/506, IDE and in some cases ESDI depending on the
BIOS maker and whether its a 286 or 386 BIOS.

SCSI is NOT supported by any motherboard BIOS chip out there.

     // JCA

 /*