[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Erasing file with space in filename.

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (05/08/90)

I remember reading some time ago in this newsgroup, I think, about how to
erase a file with a name like
		abcde gh
Never thought I would have to do it, but now I have a file like that on my
hard disk and DOS refuses to erase it.  Help!!   Carl Riehm.

P.S. And please don't ask me how it got there!

georgf@polari.UUCP (George Forsman) (05/09/90)

In article <2646D02E.26027@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:
>I remember reading some time ago in this newsgroup, I think, about how to
>erase a file with a name like
>		abcde gh
>Never thought I would have to do it, but now I have a file like that on my
>hard disk and DOS refuses to erase it.  Help!!   Carl Riehm.

Easy.  >DEL abcde?gh   (after careful checking to see that no OTHER files
match that pattern :)

>P.S. And please don't ask me how it got there!

Any program that makes use of FCBs is capable of doing this. (I think). I
believe that BASIC allows spaces in filenames. (Which, of course, makes it
another option for erasing the file...)

--
George Forsman  |  georgf@polari.uucp | "I know that you think you understand
...!uw-beaver!sumax!polari!georgf     | what you thought I said, but I am not