[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Extended RAM

limey@tc.fluke.COM (Paul Baldock) (05/01/87)

My XT clone has 2 x 256K and 2 x 64K memory banks. Could I replace the 64K
chips with 256K chips and some how make use of the memory above 640K? Such as
with programs that can access "Above Board" memory.

Paul Baldock

p.s. please reply directly (and to the net)

wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) (05/09/90)

Hi, I have recently got my first IBM computer.  For some reason, I have one
meg of RAM and I am not able to utilize the extra 384k worth.  I understand
that there are programs out there that would allow me to use the extra
RAM.  So anyways, can someone tell me if there is a good pd or freeware
program out there that I can use?  If so, where can I get a copy of it?
I would really appreciate it if you would send me a copy of it because
I cannot FTP.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

wngai@paris.ics.uci.edu

shim@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Sam Shim) (05/09/90)

In article <26479157.12425@paris.ics.uci.edu> wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) writes:

>Hi, I have recently got my first IBM computer.  For some reason, I have one
>meg of RAM and I am not able to utilize the extra 384k worth.  I understand
>that there are programs out there that would allow me to use the extra
>RAM.  So anyways, can someone tell me if there is a good pd or freeware
>program out there that I can use?  If so, where can I get a copy of it?
>I would really appreciate it if you would send me a copy of it because
>I cannot FTP.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Wayne
>

>wngai@paris.ics.uci.edu

Since you didn't state what computer you have, answering you question is going
to be a bit lengthy to cover for all possibilities.

If you have a 8088, and the extra 384K RAM is not EMS or EEMS memory, then
that memory is unusable.

If you have a 286 and the extra 384K is not used for shadow ram and is
accessable, it can be used as extended memory.  Disk caches, ram disks, and
printer spoolers usually use extended memory for holding data.  If it is not
accessable or is used for shadow ram, it is not accessable.  It can also
be converted into EMA memory to used by a program that supports EMS memory.

If you have a 286 and the extra 384K RAM is (or can be) set up as EMS or
EEMS memory, then you can use it with programs that support them, or buy
a program such as QRAM by Quarterdeck to turn it into high memory which
can be used to load drivers other small ram resident programs.

If you have a 386, and the extra 384K is not used for shadow ram and is
accessable, it can be converted to EMS memory and/or it can be used as
high RAM.  But if the extra memory is not accessable or used for shadow
ram, then that can't be done.  The extra 384K RAM can be converted by
QEMM-386, 386-to-the-Max, or equivalent.

I'm sure I must have missed a point or two, but this in general is how
it goes.

| Sam Shim                                 | "I am a computer consultant.      |
| EECS Departmental Computing Organization |  I deal with User IQ errors!"     |
| University of Michigan                   | "It's not a bug, it's a feature!" |
| internet: shim@eecs.umich.edu            | "A mind is a terrible thing."     |
              "Love is a shield to hide behind" - Camouflage