[comp.sys.ibm.pc] desqview 2.25 question

v118hj3d@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Anthony M Petro) (05/09/90)

i'm running desqview 2.25 on a pc with a 286 accelerator and 2 megs of memory.
i have no problems opening and running multiple apps, limited only by
my available memory...

however, background apps overwrite the screen of the foreground app.  HIDEing
the background app doesn't completely work, as the first and 24th lines on
my display show text from the background app.  also, if a program employs
any kind of video other than black on white (my telecomm. prog uses some
gold on blue characters to display block counts and such)  those chars
come through from the background app.

everything seems to work, but my screens are a mess!

can anyone help?

thanks in advance,
tony

anthony m. petro   "beethoven"    i can say what i want; i'm just an undergrad
V118HJ3D@UBVMSD.BITNET            "soon the gypsy queen in a glaze of Vaseline
petro@sun.acsu.buffalo.edu         will perform on guillotine; what a scene,
..!uunet!acsu.buffalo.edu!petro   what a scene..."

medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (05/10/90)

In article <25061@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v118hj3d@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>i'm running desqview 2.25 on a pc with a 286 accelerator and 2 megs of memory.
>i have no problems opening and running multiple apps, limited only by
>my available memory...
>
>however, background apps overwrite the screen of the foreground app.  HIDEing
>the background app doesn't completely work, as the first and 24th lines on
>my display show text from the background app.  also, if a program employs
>any kind of video other than black on white (my telecomm. prog uses some
>gold on blue characters to display block counts and such)  those chars
>come through from the background app.
>
>everything seems to work, but my screens are a mess!

I am assuming you are using a video card supported by DV, which
includes CGA, EGA and VGA.  Others may or may not work.

In DV, select OPEN, CP (Change Program), and select the application
you are having trouble with.  Make sure that, on the lower half of the
initial screen, the line that reads 'Virtualize Text/Graphics' is
answered either Y for YES or T for Text.  Also check that the box
which reads 'Writes Text directly to screen' also is answered Y for
YES.

Next, press function key [F1] to get to the advanved options.  Make
certain that the entry for 'Uses own colors' is answered Y.  Save this
and that should fix the problem.  Of course, you need to repeat this
for each of your apps that exhibit this problem.

If this doesn't fix you, then you will need to update to version 2.26,
which, among other things, does a better job of virtualizing video
output.
Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CCIS * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

raster@pawl.rpi.edu (Jerry D Bain) (05/10/90)

In article <May.9.17.58.26.1990.11062@elbereth.rutgers.edu> medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
>In article <25061@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v118hj3d@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>>i'm running desqview 2.25 on a pc with a 286 accelerator and 2 megs of memory.
>>i have no problems opening and running multiple apps, limited only by
>>my available memory...

>If this doesn't fix you, then you will need to update to version 2.26,
>which, among other things, does a better job of virtualizing video
>output.

Perhaps you missed the fact that this person is not running with a '386...
Thus he cannot be running QEMM.  QEMM *MUST* be loaded for the virtualize
switches to have any effect.  A '286 just doesn't hack it.

Back to the issue: I suppose it is a forgone conclusion that you want to
keep these applications running while you are in another windows...  There
is the "run only in foreground" switch, but that halts the task when it goes
into the background (and forces zoom mode).
					--Jerry Bain, raster@pawl.rpi.edu