[comp.sys.ibm.pc] QEMM 5.0 Help!!!

chrisb@escargot.UUCP (Chris Bradley) (05/08/90)

In article <1822@sparko.gwu.edu> sc155113@seas.gwu.edu () writes:
>I'm using QEMM 5.0 and something strange is happening with my memory.
>I have 1920K, with the normal 640K base, leaving 1280K of extended
>memory.  256K is left as extended, 96K is high memory, and the rest
>(928K supposedly) is extended memory.  However, I get some strange
                      ^^^^^^^^
You mean "expanded", right?

>reports as to my memory partitions.  MAPMEM reports 1328K of expanded
>memory (which is impossible), of which 576K is always used by some

Not impossible at all. QEMM Stands for Quarterdecks EXPANDED MEMORY Manager.
Its primary function is to convert extended memory into EXPANDED memory. That's
where it's coming from.

>application.  Manifest (MFT) verifies that 576K is used as handle 0,
>but it says my available expanded is only 752K (not the 928 it's
>supposed to be).  MFT also says that my total extended RAM covers

Something's using your expanded memory. Are you running under Desqview or have
a disk cache, print buffer, ram drive, etc... in your config.sys or AUTOEXEC?

>1024K all the way to 2303K (another impossibility).  It also says
>that 4K at segment F000 is mapped ROM, whatever that is.

Not impossible at all. PHYSICALLY - Your memory is extended and lies from 1024K
to 2303K. That memory is physically extended memory and is converted into
expanded memory with QEMM.

The 4K segment at F000 means that you have a ROM there.

>Could someone explain to me what is going on?

You probably ought to read the manual heavily. There is a section in the QEMM
manual that explains the difference between expanded/extended and explains it
very well. Once you understand the basics of extended/expanded memory, things
like this will clear up quickly. It did for me.

-->Chris

UUCP: ..tektronix!tessi!escargot!chrisb     "I didn't like the Mercury Sable,
Phone: (503) 644-3585 (Call anytime!)       So I bought a Ford Taurus instead!"

rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) (05/10/90)

In article <3723@escargot.UUCP> chrisb@escargot.UUCP (Chris Bradley) writes:
>In article <1822@sparko.gwu.edu> sc155113@seas.gwu.edu () writes:
>>I'm using QEMM 5.0 and something strange is happening with my memory.
Just to mention, if you're 386'ing and not using Deskview, you can try out
386MAX. The setup is less confusing than Quarterdeck's QEMM.
It's even semi-automatic on some models. It's the only memory manager
for the 386 I have seen which ACTUALLY allows you to switch from
extended to expanded on the fly. (That is while other packages offer
the feature it just doesn't work!)

386MAX comes with LOADHI, LOADLO type software to allow putting your TSR's
or drivers above 640K. The 386max Pro version has more sophisticated
ways of loading drivers high. Both have very clear instructions and very
clean utilities to display a memory map, explaining which memory is
ROM, which is RAM, what is on the video card, who's using what for
shadowing... And also where your TSR's and drivers are loading up.

Made my life much easier.

Good luck! (dont work for them, just use it!)