[comp.sys.ibm.pc] More on ESDI vs SCSI problem

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (05/23/90)

In article <19450057@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

> The SyQuest comes with a Seagate ST-01 SCSI host adapter. I have a
> DTC-6280 ESDI controller running a Micropolis 1355.
>
> After setting things up (DTC-6280 BIOS at C800 and ST-01 BIOS at CC00),
> I hit the red button. The machine fired up, checked my ESDI controller
> card RAM okay, then found the ST-01 and reported 1 SCSI drive. After
> that it rattles my ESDI drive for a while and declared "MIssing Operating
> System". So, apparently, the SCSI controller caused the ESDI controller
> to behave wrongly. Booting with a floppy disk in drive A: works fine;
> but then, I can only find one partition in my ESDI drive. When I pull
> out the SCSI controller, the ESDI goes back to working fine. What gives ?
>
> [another experiment deleted]
>
> So, my guess is that both the ESDI drive and SCSI drive behaves as
> primary boot devices ! My ESDI controller can be switched to use
> secondary port address but that won't help because I need to boot from
> the ESDI drive. I can't find anyway to set the SCSI board to have
> secondary port address. My suspicion is that this is the problem as
> both board tried to use the primary port !

I had the same problem on my machine (running unix) with the primary controller
being a wd1006v-sr2.  There is a chip that is socketed on the board and can be
removed.  I believe that this is the bios on the scsi controller (st-01) and,
if i left this chip on the st-01 my pc would not boot.   If i removed this
chip, my pc booted normally.  YOu could try that and see if it works for you.

derek
--
Derek Terveer		det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG