[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 1.44 floppy on AT

doerschu@rex.cs.tulane.edu (David Doerschuk) (05/25/90)

In article <1990May23.235403.6810@dasys1.uucp> schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) writes:
>In article <1879@east.East.Sun.COM> jimv@hienergy.East.Sun.COM (Jim Vienneau - Sun Microsystems) writes:
>>Has anyone succeeded in getting a 1.44MB 3.5" floppy to work on an original
>>AT? I'm running DOS 3.3 and tried DRIVER.SYS with no luck. Surely someone
>>has been down this road before....
>
>The 11/85 BIOS shipped with the Model 339 =does= support 1.44 Mb floppies,
>it's just the Advanced diagnostics that don't. Get yourself a public-domain
>or third-party CMOS setter that has 1.44 MB drive support and use =that=
>to set up the floppies. You won't need DRIVER.SYS or any fancy maneuvers.
>I know - I've done it!

I've got an original AT with bios dated Jan 10, 1984.  I went up and down
with several vendors, all of whom wanted to sell me a separate floppy
board with a "bios extension" to handle the 1.44 drive.  If I've been
fed bull-feathers, I'd really appreciate someone letting me know...I'd
love to drop a 1.44 into the machine.

Thanks!

Dave

doerschu@rex.cs.tulane.edu