[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Alternatives for Printer Sharing?

mikek@col.hp.com (Mike Karin) (05/25/90)

My wife's office has several PC's linked together with a program called
MANYLINK to do printer sharing.  Recently, they have been having problems
with MANYLINK when large print jobs are sent to the machine with the printer
on it while that machine is running a PARADOX application.  In the above
case, the machine serving the printer (and running PARADOX) just locks up.

I would like some suggestions for *inexpensive* alternate solutions to
printer sharing.  The printer that they want to share is a Laserjet II.

I know that they could spend lots of money and put in a LAN system but I
would like to know if there are solutions available that *just* do printer
sharing and nothing else.

Mike Karin
Hewlett-Packard Co
Colorado Springs Division
mikek@hp-col.col.hp.com

wdh1@ra.MsState.Edu (William D. Henry) (05/26/90)

In article <16110002@col.hp.com> mikek@col.hp.com (Mike Karin) writes:
>I would like some suggestions for *inexpensive* alternate solutions to
>printer sharing.  The printer that they want to share is a Laserjet II.
>
>I know that they could spend lots of money and put in a LAN system but I
>would like to know if there are solutions available that *just* do printer
>sharing and nothing else.

To just do printer sharing, you could consider purchasing an automated
switchbox.  Although you did not say how the computers were connected, I assume
they do have some sort of cables running between them.  An sutomated
switchbox would allow many different computers to be connected to one
or more printers and could allow for queueing (sp?) jobs as well.
The drawback might be that all the computers that need access to the
printer would have to be physically connected to the switchbox by printer
cables.  An example:  Dartek offers a Parallel Auto-Scan Switchbox
that connects seven different computers to one printer.  When one computer
sends a print job, the other computers are locked out until the first
computer finishes.  There are other more complex boxes that offer large
print buffers and queues, as well. (The one mentioned above is $290 in a
fairly old catalog.)

Hope this helps!

-Bill

P.S.  I have no affiliation with Dartek, except as a pleased customer.

____
|    \      |  |      Bill Henry  -  wdh1@ra.msstate.edu
|    /   .  |  |      Mississippi State University
|----\      |  |      University Honors Program
|     )  |  |  |
|____/   |  |  |      Live long and prosper.

rreiner@yunexus.UUCP (Richard Reiner) (05/26/90)

mikek@col.hp.com (Mike Karin) writes:

>I would like some suggestions for *inexpensive* alternate solutions to
>printer sharing.  The printer that they want to share is a Laserjet II.

Try an rs-232 ("Zero-slot") software LAN.  The best one by far (and
I've tried them all) is The $25 Network from Information Modes in
Texas.  It lets you share devices, including printers, between two or
more PCs using a serial link at 115 Kbps.  The resident code is only
about 10 Kb (plus or minus a few Kb depending on your configuration).
It's completely transparent, and has been totally reliable.  See the
ads in the back of the glossy PC magazines.

>I know that they could spend lots of money and put in a LAN system but I
>would like to know if there are solutions available that *just* do printer
>sharing and nothing else.

The $25 Network also lets you share disks and other character devices;
it also provides limited remote-control capabilities.

I'm not affiliated with Information Modes other than as a very
satisfied customer.

--richard