[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Grounding of disk drives

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (05/27/90)

In article <00937068.3DAFAF60@rigel.efd.lth.se>, f89ba@rigel.efd.lth.se writes:
> [deleted]
> Is grounding of the drives necessary or can I leave them as
> they are?

It depends on how the drives are mounted, if they're bolted in, they're
already grounded. The chassis is already connected to mains earth, and...

> I suppose that the motherboard has a connection to ground
> through the the power supply cords, but should it also be
> grounded, for example at one of the screws that holds the
> board in place?

.. the motherboard will make a connection between ground and mains earth
via one or more of the board mounting screws, as you suspected. There is
normally a bypass circuit on the drive to connect 0V ground to the drive's
chassis, some drives have a link to allow direct connection. If you want
to be sure, you can add a lead yourself, you need a m4 eyelet and a 4.8mm
'faston'. The objective is to screen the drive's circuitry from outside
interference (and vice versa).

> If I bought a new case for my components, would I get such
> hardware as grounding wires?

If its well made, but don't count on it, especially if the drive is
supposed to be bolted in, as opposed to mounted on plastic runners.

Dave E.