[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Drive problem

glenn@cs.utexas.edu (Gwangwu Lai) (05/26/90)

Bob Izenberg wrote:

*a trial.  Side issue:  a Miniscribe 3053 which works perfectly outside of the
*drive enclosure fails completely, can't even be low-leveled, when put in the
*case and mounted.  One of the folks at the store tells me that some drives
*suffer from the mounting screws that hold them to the drive barn.  He did
*find this with floppy and not fixed drives, more often that not, however.  It
*makes me wonder if this board even passes Class B specs...  The store takes
*a strict Not Purchased Here line, so I'll probably buy a drive from them so
*that they have to make it work.  If theirs fails, they can always blame it
*on my VGA board or mouse... 1/2 a :-)
*Has anyone else had similar problems with extended memory hangs on 286-12
*system boards?  With container-sensitive hard drives?

My 1.44M floppy drive had had a similar problem before yesterday.  It refused
to work when put in a tower case, screwed to the only 3.5" drive bay.  I took
it out, managed to get it to work, and put it back in the 3.5" drive bay.  It
worked, and then it failed when I put the four screws back.  As I couldn't
think of a good reason why this happened (since the screws did not touch
anything on the drive except its chassis), I took the drive out again, got
it to work outside the tower case, and then screwed it back in.  After several
such attempts, it has been working fine so far.  Weird.

Glenn

crmeyer@voodoo.ucsb.edu (05/27/90)

>Bob Izenberg wrote:
>
>*a trial.  Side issue:  a Miniscribe 3053 which works perfectly outside of the
>*drive enclosure fails completely, can't even be low-leveled, when put in the
>*case and mounted.

The mounting screws warp the hard drive enough so that is will not format. This
was at one time a common problem with Segate ST225 drives. In that case the
solution was to mount the drive with 3 screws. I would mount it in with
the minimum numbewrs of screws required and not tighten them up all the way.

In article <112@victoria.cs.utexas.edu> glenn@cs.utexas.edu (Gwangwu Lai) writes:

| My 1.44M floppy drive had had a similar problem before yesterday.  It refused
| to work when put in a tower case, screwed to the only 3.5" drive bay.  I took
| it out, managed to get it to work, and put it back in the 3.5" drive bay.  It
| worked, and then it failed when I put the four screws back.  As I couldn't
| think of a good reason why this happened (since the screws did not touch
| anything on the drive except its chassis), I took the drive out again, got
| it to work outside the tower case, and then screwed it back in.  After several
| such attempts, it has been working fine so far.  Weird.

  This is *usually* because the case is warped slightly and it warps the
drive frame. Sometimes the drive will work if reformatted in the case...

  Some people blame this on a "defective frame" on the hard disk, but
the hard disk was not designed to be a structural member, and I like to
have the case built well enough so it lines up, and sometimes use an
adjusting toll to insure that it does.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (05/28/90)

in article <112@victoria.cs.utexas.edu>, glenn@cs.utexas.edu (Gwangwu Lai) says:

> it out, managed to get it to work, and put it back in the 3.5" drive bay.  It
> worked, and then it failed when I put the four screws back.  As I couldn't

I recall the vendor manual from some disk/tape device (I can't remember which)
advising that only three of the four mounting screws be used, if mounting from
the bottom.  If you used the side rails, you could use all four screws.
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM            (408) 435-5293