[comp.sys.ibm.pc] >640k Memory question

minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar,(???)) (05/28/90)

Following my having to get my el-cheapo clone maker to put RAM chips fast
enough for my AT in, I find myself the proud owner of an extra 384K on my AT
clone.

My question is, what do I do with this oh-so-wonderful extra memory?

From the user end of things -

what programs support it? I'm aware of QEMM, which loads TSRs into this
upper space.  I also have several disk cache programs that use this space,
but as a rule I dont believe in disk caches.. Other than that, even my
wonderful editor (QEdit) doesn't seem to handle this extra memory the way it
claims it should.  Is there RAM disk software that handles it well?

what is the name for AT memory > 640k? Its the standard on-the-motherboard
stuff. Does anyone use the other type of memory any more?

From the programmer end of things -

how do I address it? Are there any good references on using this memory for
data space?

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (05/28/90)

In article <15007@reed.UUCP> minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar) writes:

>Following my having to get my el-cheapo clone maker to put RAM chips fast
>enough for my AT in, I find myself the proud owner of an extra 384K on my AT
>clone.
>
>My question is, what do I do with this oh-so-wonderful extra memory?

Unless you have something like the Chips and Technology chip set, this extra
memory is just plain extended memory.  It is mapped at 1Meg thru 1.384 Meg.

>what programs support it? I'm aware of QEMM, which loads TSRs into this
>upper space.  I also have several disk cache programs that use this space,

Any program that will use extended memory: disk cache, EMS emulator, XMS
driver, DOS extenders, etc.  If your chipset supports use of this memory
as hardware EMS, than you should have gotten a software driver for this. Check
the manuals/doc that came with your clone (I'm assuming you just got this
machine, in which case you may have a modern chipset).

>what is the name for AT memory > 640k? Its the standard on-the-motherboard
>stuff. Does anyone use the other type of memory any more?

As per above, it may be on the motherboard, but it is mapped to over 1 Mb or
is EMS hardware and hence mappable to any area including 640K to 1Mb.  If
this memory was really hardwired from 640K to 1Mb than it would conflict
with your display ram/rom and system rom chips.  I doubt your machine would
run at all.

>From the programmer end of things -
>
>how do I address it? Are there any good references on using this memory for
>data space?

Anything on use of EMS, extended memory, XMS standard will be useful.  See
you local computer oriented books store.

Conclusion: this is not some kind of special ram, but just the same old
ordinary stuff you always here about.  Find out what kind it is.

Bruce