[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC-NFS under DESQview 2.66

djb@bbt.UUCP (beauvais) (05/25/90)

In article <3305@rupert.misemi> infotech@rupert.UUCP (Ross Bannerman - infotech) writes:

>In the same vein, has anyone had any success running TELNET under DESQVIEW 2.26?
>It always seems to "hang" if run under a multi-window DESQVIEW session.
>According to the manual DV may contain a bug that prevents this use... But that
>was supposed to be in ver. 1.21... Does anyone have the patch to DV that SUN
>posted to net.micro.pc  on Usenet? We don't get that group... e-mail it to me if
>you have it... Also if you can e-mail details on how you get it to work, that
>would be appreciated...

That's disappointing.  I have been running 2.25, and telnet would hang as
you described.  I just got the 2.26 upgrade a few days ago, but haven't had
much time to test it.  I guess the problem hasn't gone away, huh?

If you haer of any solution, please post it to the net, since I'm sure lots
of us have the same problem.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
--
	Dan Beauvais                    ...!mcnc!rti!bbt!djb
	BroadBand Technologies, Inc.  +1(919)-544-6850 x 295

boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) (05/29/90)

In article <90176@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>> > . . .has anyone had any success running TELNET under DESQVIEW 2.26?
>> > It always seems to "hang" if run under a multi-window DESQVIEW session. . .

Sounds like a problem I am having w/using the Clarkson Packet Driver
and NCSA Telnet.  I would load the PD, start DV, open a window, start
Telnet, and then open a Big DOS window.  As soon as I did that, the
machine would lock.  Opening a small DOS window would not lock the
machine, but opening two would.

I finally got through to DV tech support on Compuserve and found out
what may be going on.  Because I am opening a Big DOS window, or 2
small DOS windows, DV is swapping the Telnet code out to expanded
memory.  The packet driver, which was started before DV, tries to
deliver a packet to the telnet app.  Since the telnet app is not there,
it is doing something nasty to the app which is there.

The guy told me that this is a problem with loading certain drivers
before DV which attempt to access an applications memory space
asynchronously.  He said that a driver could determine if the target
app is loaded into memory using the External Driver Interface which is
documented in the DV API Reference Manual.

Since you don't have the PC-NFS source, I guess your only avenue is to
contact Sun and see if they can do anything.

Brendan
--
Brendan B. Boerner		Phone: 512/471-3241
Microcomputer Technologies	The University of Texas @ Austin