[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 1.44M Drive for XT?

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/25/90)

yes. It is possible to use 1.44 Mb drive on an XT clone.

what you need is a new controller card which can handle the 1.44 Mb drive.

-dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

jboggs@inco.UUCP (John Boggs) (05/29/90)

In article <8587RUBIN@POLYGRAF> RUBIN@POLYGRAF.BITNET (David Rubin) writes:
>Is it possible to hook up a 1.44M 3.5" floppy drive to an XT compatible?
>If not, how about 720K?  Does anybody have a recommendation for such a
>drive and controller?
>
>Please respond via E-mail...

Sorry about postine this.  My E-Mail isn't working right now.

I just put a 1.44MB TEAC drive in my XT clone.  I had to upgrade my DOS
to version 3.3 to accommodate it and had to put a new floppy controller
in.  I used a SYSGEN OmniBridge controller (can handle up to four floppy
drives in four formats).  The only problem I ran into was in using the
1.44 drive as A:.  My system didn't like that setup and kept giving my
not ready errors when I tried.  I finally got it running as B: while using
my original 360KB drive as A:.

--
John Boggs

McDonnell Douglas Electronic Systems Company
McLean, Virginia, USA

thouse@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (thouse) (05/29/90)

> yes. It is possible to use 1.44 Mb drive on an XT clone.
>

> what you need is a new controller card which can handle the 1.44 Mb drive.
>
>Jameco has a controller card which will allow you to use any type of drive
in an XT. I have had one in my XT for a couple of years now and is still
performing well.