[comp.sys.ibm.pc] REMAC: how to improve the sound quality even more!

bkirby@cs.umr.edu (Bill Kirby) (05/26/90)

Please excuse if this has been discussed, as the disk on our news server
crashed recently and we have lost the last couple of days news.

First, let me say that REMAC is incredible!  The quality of sound it produces
on a 16MHz Model 80 is unreal.  There is also a program called REPLAY, written
by the same person, available at wuarchive.wustl.edu in the
/mirrors/msdos/voice directory.  There are macintosh sound files available
at the same site, in /mirrors/info-mac/sound[s?]

In a recent post to this group someone mentioned three utility programs for
converting hqx files to binary files suitable for downloading to PC.  These
programs work great. Let me refresh your memory:

   you download an .hqx file containing some annoying sound you wish
   to torment your office mates with.  :)

   run mcvert and you then have: annoying-sound.sit.bin

   after running unsit you get: annoying-sound.info
                                annoying-sound.data and
                                annoying-sound.rsrc

   typing "macbin annoying-sound" combines the three files into
   a single "annoying-sound.bin" file.

now back to the post:

If you skip the macbin step you can improve the sound quality!
This is because REMAC plays the ENTIRE file, not just the sound data.
REPLAY doesn't interpret the header of the file to determine where the
data starts.  This means that the "info" and "rsrc" information get
"played" as well, which results in an annoying "glitch" at the beginning
and end of each sound.  To get rid of these glitches, simply download
the "annoying-sound.data" file to DOS before running macbin (you must
still download it in binary mode).  Then play this file.

Enjoy!

  "Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on  +------------------------+
   their real heads" -They Might Be Giants  | Bill Kirby             |
+-------------------------------------------+ Computer Science Dept. |
| Internet: bkirby@cs.umr.edu                 University of MO-Rolla |
|   Bitnet: bkirby%cs.umr.edu@umrvmb.bitnet +------------------------+
|     UUCP: ...!uunet!cs.umr.edu!bkirby     |

flint@gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett) (05/29/90)

bkirby@cs.umr.edu (Bill Kirby) writes:

>Please excuse if this has been discussed, as the disk on our news server
>crashed recently and we have lost the last couple of days news.

>First, let me say that REMAC is incredible!  The quality of sound it produces
>on a 16MHz Model 80 is unreal.  There is also a program called REPLAY, written
>by the same person, available at wuarchive.wustl.edu in the
>/mirrors/msdos/voice directory.  There are macintosh sound files available
>at the same site, in /mirrors/info-mac/sound[s?]

I tried to use REMAC on my '486 and it wasn't incredible-- the volume
level is very low.  (I have to almost put my ear on the speaker to hear
it on several sounds.)  I can only theorize that the volume level is low
as a side-effect of the machine's speed-- anyone know if this is true?
Has anyone else had the same problem, and is there a solution available?
--
Flint Pellett, Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.
1800 Woodfield Drive, Savoy, IL  61874     (217) 352-1165

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (05/30/90)

flint@gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett) writes:
> I tried to use REMAC on my '486 and it wasn't incredible-- the volume
> level is very low.  (I have to almost put my ear on the speaker to hear
> it on several sounds.)  I can only theorize that the volume level is low
> as a side-effect of the machine's speed-- anyone know if this is true?
> Has anyone else had the same problem, and is there a solution available?

I don't think it's a side-effect of the machine's speed, since I have
an 8MHz V20 machine and I have the same problem.

Since I have already installed a volume knob and headphone/speaker
jack in my computer, I just cranked the volume up all the way and
plugged a spare "stereo" speaker I had lying around in.  Works fine.
Anybody with rudimentary EE experience should be able to wire this
up, too, but if you can't I have a short text file that I can send
you that details the operation.  Some soldering skill is necessary, but
not PCB soldering.

--
Marc Unangst                           | "It is dangerous to be right when
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us    | the government is wrong."