[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help with screen capture

desmond@cod.NOSC.MIL (J. Desmond) (05/29/90)

I am writing a manual for a piece of software I developed and
would like to extract screen images to use in the manual.  Does
anyone know of a utility that can capture a TEXT screen with
foreground and backround color information and output a disk file
in a common GRAPHICS format so that WordPerfect 5.1 can import
it?  I already tried using a WP text box but font sizes severely
limit the sizes of the box.  I also tried using the WP grab
utility operating under BASIC displaying the captured text in
screen mode 9 (graphic).  That came pretty close and might be a
useful trick for somebody out there (I'll send the code to
interested parties) but since the text had to be previously
captured by a common text-based utility (PRN2FILE), the color
information was already lost.  Any ideas?
-John Desmond
desmond@nosc.mil

christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) (05/30/90)

In article <1922@cod.NOSC.MIL> desmond@cod.NOSC.MIL (J. Desmond) writes:
>I am writing a manual for a piece of software I developed and
>would like to extract screen images to use in the manual.  Does
>anyone know of a utility that can capture a TEXT screen with
>foreground and backround color information and output a disk file
>in a common GRAPHICS format so that WordPerfect 5.1 can import
>it?  I already tried using a WP text box but font sizes severely
>limit the sizes of the box.  I also tried using the WP grab
>utility operating under BASIC displaying the captured text in
>screen mode 9 (graphic).  That came pretty close and might be a
>useful trick for somebody out there (I'll send the code to
>interested parties) but since the text had to be previously
>captured by a common text-based utility (PRN2FILE), the color
>information was already lost.  Any ideas?
>-John Desmond
>desmond@nosc.mil

	In one of the last *PC Magazines*, they ran a review of 5 screen-
capture utilities. Included in this were _Pizazz Plus_, _Hijack Plus_, The
_Graphics Link_ (I think that was the name) & 2 others whose names I don't
recall.  If memory serves correctly,  _Pizazz_ was an Editors' Choice for
screen dumps to printers. Either Hijack or Hot-Shot Graphics (just remembered
the name) was the Editors' Choice for dumps to disk, especially in
different formats.  You might want to get hold of that article.  Pizazz sells
for <$100 while the others can top $250.  Good luck...

Chris

--
"Never count a human dead until you've seen the body.  And even
then you can make a mistake".