[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Questions about Maxtor XT-1085

schuster@dasys1.uucp (Michael Schuster) (05/27/90)

In article <1990May24.194508.16503@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> terry@uivlsif.csl.uiuc.edu (Terry Lee) writes:
>I think I have heard that Maxtor XT-1085's can be formatted to 1224 tracks
>(same capacity as XT-2190), just that the extra tracks are not guaranteed.
>Is this true?  The 1085's are definitely much cheaper.

Many of Maxtor's drives are mechanically identical. I don't know if it applies
to the XT-1085, but the XT-1140 definitely formats to 1224 tracks, 15 heads
(just like the XT-2190). Using Adaptec RLL controllers, a few friends of mine
have been formatting these to 244 MB for YEARS without a problem.

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          70346.1745@compuserve.com
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP   CIS:70346,1745

leeh@groucho.cs.psu.edu (Lee Henderson) (05/28/90)

In article <1990May27.115125.11750@dasys1.uucp> schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) writes:
>              . . . the XT-1140 definitely formats to 1224 tracks, 15 heads
>(just like the XT-2190). Using Adaptec RLL controllers, a few friends of mine
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>have been formatting these to 244 MB for YEARS without a problem.

Is this a unique feature of the Adaptec controller, or will the
Western Digital 1006V SR2 controller do this as well?

Lee Henderson
leeh@groucho.cs.psu.edu

In article <F*8pk54@cs.psu.edu> leeh@groucho.cs.psu.edu (Lee Henderson) writes:

| Is this a unique feature of the Adaptec controller, or will the
| Western Digital 1006V SR2 controller do this as well?

  I had three which wouldn't format RLL with either controller. You take
your chances with these.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

bills@xstor.UUCP (Bill Smith) (05/30/90)

In article <1990May24.194508.16503@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> terry@uivlsif.csl.uiuc.edu (Terry Lee) writes:
>I think I have heard that Maxtor XT-1085's can be formatted to 1224 tracks
>(same capacity as XT-2190), just that the extra tracks are not guaranteed.
>Is this true?  The 1085's are definitely much cheaper.
>
>Also, could someone tell me what Maxtor's phone number is?  Thanks!
>
>--------------
>Terry Lee
>terry@uivlsif.csl.uiuc.edu

We have sold alot of these drives. The XT-1085 has 1024 cylinders,
8 Heads, and 17 sectors. The XT-2190 has 1224 cylinders, 15 heads,
and 17 sectors. Both are MFM drives. We support these parameters
and so does Maxtor. If you try to go with more cylinders, you will
be in an unsupportable position. This also applied when you use these
drives at the RLL (26 sector) values. You can call Maxtor at
(408) 432-1700.  They are located at 2150 N. First Street in San Jose,
California 95131.

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (05/30/90)

In article <F*8pk54@cs.psu.edu> leeh@groucho.cs.psu.edu (Lee Henderson) writes:
|>              . . . the XT-1140 definitely formats to 1224 tracks, 15 heads
|>(just like the XT-2190). Using Adaptec RLL controllers, a few friends of mine
|
|Is this a unique feature of the Adaptec controller, or will the
|Western Digital 1006V SR2 controller do this as well?

I would guess the Adaptec has special BIOS code to fool DOS into
thinking there are 1024 or fewer cylinders. Some DTC controllers
can do this, but the WD1006V doesn't seem to be able to. There are
other workarounds, I think Speedstore and Disk Manager can do the
same stuff but that requires resident device drivers.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
The Green Movement has Red Roots.