[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Borland Turbo C++ 1.0!

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (05/25/90)

Re:  the v2.0 __STDC__ fluke.  Either this was fixed by posted patches or
recent releases have it fixed (probably both).  My copy has no problem
with it when I force "ANSI keywords only".

wolf@ariel.unm.edu (Mark Giaquinto) (05/26/90)

I tried to find the orginal article to reply to, but I couldn't so here
I go.

In article jjohnson@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Jeff Johnson) writes:
>My Borland source looked into the missing main() problem:

>] From: darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
>] Subject: Does Borland consider main an extension to ANSI?

>] I just thought that this was so weird I wanted to share it.  I have the
>] following program.

>] #include <stdio.h>
>] main() { printf("STDC is %d\n", __STDC__); }

>] Compiled under GNU C I get the following expected output:

>] STDC is 1

>] Compiled under Turbo C 2.0 I get an error that __STDC__ is not defined.
>] I compile using the -A switch (disable all non-ANSI extensions) and the
>] program compiles but the linker complains that there is no main function.
>] Looking at the assembler output confirms this.  So what's up?

>        I checked  the program  in the  note about  __STDC__ and  at
>        least in TC++ 1.0 there is no problem.  Since I don't have a
>        copy of TC 2.0 anymore, I can't check it.

>This is not much help I suppose, but it is a reason to upgrade. 8-)
>--
>Jeff Johnson		+1 217 384 8542			Motorola Inc

On page 239, User's Guide, Turbo C 2.0 it states the following:

"__STDC__     The constant 1, if you commpile with the ANSI
	      compatibility (-A) flag (ANSI Keywords Only ... ON);
	      otherwise the macro is undefined.

Compilied the program with the "-A" and it ran fine.

I hope this helps.

--
Winter Wolf (aka Mark Giaquinto) wolf@ariel.unm.edu
669 Black Hawk Dr NE, Albuquerque New Mexico 87122

elund@pro-graphics.cts.com (Eric Lund) (05/30/90)

Can anyone clarify the cost of an upgrade to TC++ pro?  I've heard several
prices.  I have the TCpro package, but so far have only received an offer for
the tools part, and not the pro.  Is the upgrade cheaper if you have pro to
begin with?

Eric W. Lund =========================== ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!elund@nosc.mil
THE WORLD JUST HASN'T BEEN                Internet: elund@pro-graphics.cts.com
THE SAME EVER SINCE:                         UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!elund
A) Lucille Ball died.  B) Zsa Zsa slapped that     ProLine: elund@pro-graphics
cop.  C) That fusion garbage.  D) Bugs turned fifty.          Prodigy: xcbr22b