[comp.sys.ibm.pc] '386 Questions

bob@allan.sublink.org (sysop ) (05/20/90)

> As for IDE drives, ESDI is definity faster than IDE drives (athough IDE
> drives are fast in themselves).  For example, our Conner 100 Meg IDE drive
> gets about 775 kb/sec, and II believe someone's ESDI drive gets somewhere
> between 800-900 kb/sec.  Speed difference is not great, but if speed is the
> way to go, get ESDI.  From my experience, IDE drive perform almost as well,
> but not quite as well as ESDI drives.

Are you really sure?
I've just purchased a 177Mb Imprimis IDE and CoreTest reports:
Avg. access time: 15.5 m/sec.
Track to track  :  3.6 m/sec.
Transfer rate   :  830 Kb/sec.
My machine is a 386sx running at 16 Mhz. It's VERY important to optimize
the computer set-up. A faster bus clock dropped performance to a mere 560
Kb/sec. <bleah!>

BTW not all SCSI performed well. I've seen a combination of Seagate hard
disk & controller (ST02 + ST251N) do a 390 Kb/sec. on a 12 Mhz 286. On
the same machine a "vulgaris" MFM controller with a ST124 perform better
at 430 Kb/sec. Same peripherals on my 386sx get a 460 Kb/sec.
Of course avg. access time remain the same...

Don't forget the money! IDE drives are more cheaper than ESDI.
If you aren't a professional doing BIG disk intensive tasks you may
choice the bucks vs. speed.

Bye from Italy.
                        Lanfranco

** allan **      Lanfranco Albani  Calderara di Reno (BO)   tel +39 51 727372
UUCP: bob@allan.sublink.org                  "Anche i bancari hanno un'anima"

bob@allan.sublink.org (sysop ) (05/20/90)

> One more thing.  ST-506/412 MFM, ST-506/412 RLL and ESDI are also not
> supported on the motherboard level.  IDE is supported on the motherboard
> level because that is what it was designed for.  So ruling out SCSI
> because of no motherboard support is ridiculous.  I prefer computers
> not to come with motherboard support so I can use whatever controller I
> want/afford.

Don't agree.
Only FEW mother-boards directly support IDE drives. On almost all cases
you need a small and INEXPENSIVE host adapter card to run IDE drives!
I've seen a half-size card (Taiwan made of course...) with support for:
2 floppy (360, 720, 1200, 1440)
2 IDE hard drive
2 serial port (only COM1 & COM2, deselectable)
1 parallel port
1 game port (joystick)
1 bus mouse port
Stop :-)
Ah, forget the price: in Italy about 50-60 US$

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (05/24/90)

In article <9536.264b1ff8@amherst.bitnet> tgoldin@amherst.bitnet writes:
> In article <36200011@suna2>, silver@suna2.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> > 		Is video stuff as straight forward as it seems?
>
> Video is _not_ that simple.  The major consideration with super VGA and higher
> resolution is interlacing.  You should stay away from monitors/cards that force
> you to use an interlaced mode for high resolution.  Interlacing can cause
> considerable flicker (every other line of the display is updated during one
> screen rewrite;  it takes two rewrites to update the display).  It also seems
> that a true multisyncing monitor will reduce the chance of flicker.  Beware:
	      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> some monitors that seem to be multisyncing are really only dual (or multiple)
> fixed frequency monitors (like the NEC "Multisync 2a").
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Could you be a bit more expansive about what "multisync" means in a monitor and
how (and why) some monitors use multiple frequencies to display an image?  I
can understand that interlacing would cause flicker and, i suppose, with a
longer term phospher would be cheaper to make than a non-interlaced monitor.

I am in the process of looking at "super" vga monitors for running x11 on my
unix system and have decided, with some trepidation, that i would like
something no less capable than a Nec 3d.

Any other information about monitors in general would be helpful, since it is
sometimes a tad hard to learn the theory behind equipment merely from vendor's
advertisements!! (:-)

derek
--
Derek Terveer		det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG

joel@techunix.BITNET (Yossi (Joel) Hoffman) (05/31/90)

In article <242@demott.COM> kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
>>>In article <6224@ozdaltx.UUCP> doug@ozdaltx.UUCP (Doug Matlock) writes:
>>>remember external cassette drives?  :-)
>>Remember hand powered punch tape readers?
>>Remember toggling in your exec from switches on the front panel?
>>Remember slide rules?
>Remember Core?
>Remember mercury-column memory?
>Remember analog computers with electron tubes?

Remember news networks where the answer arrived before
the question...?  Oops. :-)

-Joel