[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DesqView,,,,again

a516@mindlink.UUCP (Jordan Melville) (05/26/90)

In article <1990May25.221048.5003@cs.utk.edu>, wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon
Lape) wrote:
> Ok. You idiots are pissing me off!! I did not state the obvious because I
> thought it too mondain!! Here is what the problem is! Take note!!

Mr Lape, we are not your slaves, nor do we work for you, and if we do indeed
help you, it is out of the goodness of our hearts. And, on a side note, all the
problems you reported are addressed in the documents for DESQview which come
when someone buys the product. Note that they do not come when you pirate it.

Jordan.

Jordan C. Melville         Voice: (604) 943-7155
Vancouver, BC                BBS: (604) 943-3503 (2400baud)
"There's blood in the       UUCP: {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!a516
streets, it's up to my            a516@mindlink.UUCP
ankles" - The Doors

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (05/26/90)

	Ok.  You idiots are pissing me off!!  I did not state the
obvious because I thought it too mondain!!  Here is what the problem is!
Take note!!

	Machine:
		Tandy 4000 (16 Mhz - 80386)
		4 Meg memory
		80 Meg SCSI HD w/ Adaptec controller (Firmware on board)
		VGA graphics and monitor

	Cards:
		Apple Talk Network
		Serial/Parallel Board (1 each)
		Amdek CD controller
		40 meg Tape back-up  (slow as hell)
			(actually runs off of the on board drive
			 controller as drive B:, but is not recognized
			 as drive B:)

	Periphs:
		Amdek Laserdrive-1
		Toshiba printer

	Software:
		DOS 3.3
		QEMM-386 v. 4.20
		DESQview 386 v. 1.0

This is what will not happen....
	Mouse drive (Mouse.Sys or mouse.com) will not go into high
memory (.sys locks machine, .com goes somewhere because returns to DOS
prompt.  Virtual machines do not come up (the box claims it will do it).
No other *.sys files will go into high memory.  Tape backup programme
has a TSR part that will load into memory, but never activate (supposed
to tell you when to backup at a certain time).  Mouse does not work in
Desqview, but in Quick C & QUick BASIC and Tandy Deskmate.  Tape backup
programme will not run in window.  Appletalk printing programme hangs
machine every once in awhile while running in a window (does not from
DOS).  R:BASE for DOS 2.11 runs very slow in a window (even when alone).
Every window must be smaller than 459k (DOS uses this much with minimal
drivers installed).  GEM software does not run.  If any graphics
programme is run (interface that is, GUI) or is a programme uses the 48
line mode of VGA (line number maybe wrong, cannot remember the size),
then life is being taken into own hands (locks, losses data, etc).
PC:File-db looses data when run in a window (as well as PC:File+).

I have done the following:
	Taken every unneeded card out and re-booted.  Called tech
support dozen times.  excluded everything in video memory, tried almost
every possible combination of parameters.

I do use the shell command in config.sys to increase the environment.

-bryon lape-

ucmpme@swuts.swbt.com (1593]) (05/27/90)

> problems you reported are addressed in the documents for DESQview which come
> when someone buys the product. Note that they do not come when you pirate it.
>
> Jordan.
>
> --
> Jordan C. Melville         Voice: (604) 943-7155
Aw, c'mon Jordan, have a heart.  He's probably got the English version.
We could probably help if we figure out what language *mondain* is!

--
    M. E. Evans
    UUCP:  swuts!ucmpme or sw1e!ucmpme

a516@mindlink.UUCP (Jordan Melville) (05/28/90)

In article <1990May28.153740.2920@cs.utk.edu>, wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon
Lape) wrote:
>         How dare you accuse me of software piracy!!!  Even thing I use
> is registered and purchased!!!
>
>         I read the damn manual and it sucks!!

I found that the manual was quite well written, and, it _does_ answer the
questions you asked. The way I see it, you are either illiterate and cannot
read the manual or you 'own' a pirated copy of it. You choose, far be it from
to choose from the above selections.

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (05/28/90)

In article <1990May25.221048.5003@cs.utk.edu> wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) writes:
>	Ok.  You idiots are pissing me off!!  I did not state the
>obvious because I thought it too mondain!!  Here is what the problem is!
>Take note!!

	Ok!!!!  So not everyone out here is an idiot, but from the
replies I got from my first post, those people cannot read either.  The
mail I received must have been from persons only reading the first
couple of sentences.

-bryon lape-

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (05/29/90)

>>         How dare you accuse me of software piracy!!!  Even thing I use
>> is registered and purchased!!!
>>

>I found that the manual was quite well written, and, it _does_ answer the
>questions you asked. The way I see it, you are either illiterate and cannot
>read the manual or you 'own' a pirated copy of it. You choose, far be it from
>to choose from the above selections.

	For the record, we do have a registered copy of Deqview 386 ver
1.0.  I read the manual cover-to-cover before even installing it AND
when troubles arose.  After many phone calls to Quarterdeck and getting
no where (ie- problem still there), the person on the other end told me
it must be a problem with the SCSI interface by Adaptec and that I
needed a device driver.  He did not know the name of such a driver, but
was sure that it existed.  No where in the manuall for the SCSI drive is
an Adpatec phone number or address.  My inside sources at Tandy (yes I
actually know people there) had never heard of such a driver.
Basically, I think there was a bug in Quarterdeck's programme and they
just pointed elsewhere.  Also, they have not sent us anything about an
upgrade to the newer version.

-bryon lape-

angelini@apollo.HP.COM (Bob Angelini) (05/30/90)

>	For the record, we do have a registered copy of Deqview 386 ver
>1.0.  I read the manual cover-to-cover before even installing it AND
>when troubles arose.  After many phone calls to Quarterdeck and getting
>no where (ie- problem still there), the person on the other end told me
>it must be a problem with the SCSI interface by Adaptec and that I
>needed a device driver.  He did not know the name of such a driver, but
>was sure that it existed.  No where in the manuall for the SCSI drive is
>an Adpatec phone number or address.  My inside sources at Tandy (yes I
>actually know people there) had never heard of such a driver.
>Basically, I think there was a bug in Quarterdeck's programme and they
>just pointed elsewhere.  Also, they have not sent us anything about an
>upgrade to the newer version.

I have not been following this discussion so, please excuse me if the
following info is redundent.

I had problems with Windows 386 not loading beyond the Microsoft banner,
just after switching to an Adaptec AHA-1542 SCSI controller. Microsoft
suggested that I try using a device driver that Adaptec supplies. I
contacted Adaptec and they gave me the number of their Tech Support BBS
(1-408-945-7727). I was able to download this device driver and it did
infact solve my problem.

The driver is a buffering device driver for the 154x board that supports
both video and virtual memory buffering. It should correct problems that the
154x has with programs that transfer a lot of data from disk directly to the
screen and also apps that use 386 protected mode.

Bob Angelini

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (05/30/90)

In article <4aaf7cbe.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> angelini@apollo.HP.COM (Bob Angelini) writes:

>I have not been following this discussion so, please excuse me if the
>following info is redundent.
>
>suggested that I try using a device driver that Adaptec supplies. I
>contacted Adaptec and they gave me the number of their Tech Support BBS
>(1-408-945-7727). I was able to download this device driver and it did

	Finally!!!  A response I can use.  Thanks Bod, but I do have a
couple of questions, what is the number where you downloaded?  What are
the communications parameters?  Where is it found?  (ok, so I have 3
questions)

	Thanks again!

-bryon lape-

shim@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Sam Shim) (05/30/90)

In article <1990May29.193515.1329@cs.utk.edu> wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) writes:
>In article <4aaf7cbe.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> angelini@apollo.HP.COM (Bob Angelini) writes:
>>suggested that I try using a device driver that Adaptec supplies. I
>>contacted Adaptec and they gave me the number of their Tech Support BBS
>>(1-408-945-7727). I was able to download this device driver and it did
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>	Finally!!!  A response I can use.  Thanks Bod, but I do have a
>couple of questions, what is the number where you downloaded?  What are
>the communications parameters?  Where is it found?  (ok, so I have 3
>questions)

Are you blind and stupid in addition to being obnoxious?  The phone number
is right there.  The communication parameters most likely would be the
standard 8-N-1 (that is the standard for bbs's).  And chances are, they have
a 2400 bps modem that auto-detects to 1200 bps.  Maybe if you read the message
more carefully you wouldn't have to waste net bandwidth with stupid questions!

|  Sam Shim                                   | "I didn't do it...            |
|  EECS Departmental Computing Organization   |  It wasn't me...              |
|  University of Michigan                     |  Nobody saw me do it...       |
|  Ann Arbor, MI 48109                        |  Nobody can prove a thing..." |
|  internet: shim@eecs.umich.edu              |  - Bart Simpson               |

angelini@apollo.HP.COM (Bob Angelini) (05/31/90)

>>suggested that I try using a device driver that Adaptec supplies. I
>>contacted Adaptec and they gave me the number of their Tech Support BBS
>>(1-408-945-7727). I was able to download this device driver and it did

>couple of questions, what is the number where you downloaded?  What are
>the communications parameters?  Where is it found?  (ok, so I have 3
>questions)

The phone number for the Adaptec BBS is 1-408-945-7727
The comm params. are 2400,N,8,1 (2400 baud, No Parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit)
The driver is located in the Files Library, Files Directory
The file you need is SCSIHA.ARC, this contains the driver and Doc. file

Bob Angelini

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (05/31/90)

>>the communications parameters?  Where is it found?  (ok, so I have 3
>>questions)
>
>The phone number for the Adaptec BBS is 1-408-945-7727
>The comm params. are 2400,N,8,1 (2400 baud, No Parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit)
>The driver is located in the Files Library, Files Directory

	Thanks for this additional information.  But would you believe
someone out there in nteland sent me a note telling me that I am an
idiot and even cursed at me.  Boy, someone out there must be a total
nerd or something.  I never assum comm params and this person talks
about "standards."  SUre, they may exist, but no one BBS is made  to
follow them.

	Thanks again.

-bryon lape-

shim@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Sam Shim) (05/31/90)

In article <1990May30.211950.15094@cs.utk.edu> wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) writes:

>>>the communications parameters?  Where is it found?  (ok, so I have 3
>>>questions)
>>
>>The phone number for the Adaptec BBS is 1-408-945-7727
>>The comm params. are 2400,N,8,1 (2400 baud, No Parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit)
>>The driver is located in the Files Library, Files Directory
>
>	Thanks for this additional information.  But would you believe
>someone out there in nteland sent me a note telling me that I am an
>idiot and even cursed at me.  Boy, someone out there must be a total
>nerd or something.  I never assum comm params and this person talks
>about "standards."  SUre, they may exist, but no one BBS is made  to
>follow them.
>
>	Thanks again.
>
>-bryon lape-

There you go again.  Denouncing standards.  They may exist?  They do exist.
No bbs is made to follow them, but if they don't want problems they follow
the standard.  That's why standards exist.  Why are you constantly denying
the existence of standards.  First you deny that the WD 1003 hard drive
controller standard exists, and now you denounce the standard modem settings
for bbs's?  Look man, I see you are not an experience PC comm user.  There's
nothing wrong with that.  But stop with this standard b.s.!  Believe it or
not standards do exist.  Not everyone follows them, but most do.  Why
are denying them?  Next message you'll probably say that there is no such
thing as ISA, and then no SAA, etc...

Like I told you before you insult people not directly by insulting them, but
by posting insulting messages.  If you didn't know there is a standard PC
modem settings, why not just say so instead of denying standards and
stating that no one is forced to follow them.

Learn how to post properly, and mature a little.  You're turning this
newsgroup into a war zone - The world vs. you.

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (05/31/90)

In article <1990May30.211950.15094@cs.utk.edu> wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon La
>>The comm params. are 2400,N,8,1 (2400 baud, No Parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop
>someone out there in nteland sent me a note telling me that I am an idiot
>...  I never assum comm params and this person talks
>about "standards."  SUre, they may exist,...

Now there's a set of parameters I never would have thought to try:
2400 baud, no parity, 8 data, 1 stop.

al