[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Memory Size Error

elund@pro-graphics.cts.com (Eric Lund) (05/31/90)

> In article <2746@crash.cts.com> elund@pro-graphics.cts.com (Eric Lund) writes:
>> Howdy all.  I own the above named card, and I've heard from various netters
>> that an upgrade to 512k and 640x480x256 color mode was possible just from
>> adding a row of chips.  So I went out there, bought 8 41464-10's (that's 4x64,
>
> The moral is: don't listen to people who speak of things without personal
> knowledge. According to WD Tech Support the VGA Plus 16 IS A NON-UPGRADEABLE
> PRODUCT. If you wanted 512K you should have bought the VGA Professional.
> It has the extra firmware and chip decode logic on it to support the extra
> memory.

Ah ... I knew a moral would be thrown in there somewhere.  I removed the
chips, and the card works like in normally should.  I don't know, I'm just
gullible I guess.  I can't understand why anybody would say they did such a
thing if they didn't.  I specifically read two replies saying they
accomplished the feat.  Of course, when I _asked_ for help, I didn't hear them
come a calling.  Anyhow, now I've got another problem.  (Yay!  Sigh deeply.)

I have 640k.  When I made the modification to the card, it seemed to make BIOS
think I had only 512k of system memory.  Unfortunately, it still does, even
with the card removed.  It's either coincidence, or the card shorted
something.  How and what?  I replaced the system jumpers, but they were
working fine.  What's left to look at?  I have 640k, it just doesn't believe
me.  Any ideas?

Eric W. Lund =========================== ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!elund@nosc.mil
THE WORLD JUST HASN'T BEEN                Internet: elund@pro-graphics.cts.com
THE SAME EVER SINCE:                         UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!elund
A) Lucille Ball died.  B) Zsa Zsa slapped that     ProLine: elund@pro-graphics
cop.  C) That fusion garbage.  D) Bugs turned fifty.          Prodigy: xcbr22b