[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 9600 bps modems

akcs.reed@tronsbox.UUCP (reed) (05/30/90)

I have to buy some high speed dial up modems, running at 9600 bps. I'd be
interested in hearing from anyone recommending or disparaging a particular
brand. Thanks for your help.

boyne@hplvli.HP.COM (Art Boyne) (05/31/90)

akcs.reed@tronsbox.UUCP (reed) asks:

>I have to buy some high speed dial up modems, running at 9600 bps. I'd be
>interested in hearing from anyone recommending or disparaging a particular
>brand. Thanks for your help.

Here at work, we've been buying the Multitech V32 modems and have had
very good luck with them.  Don't know anything about price, though,
since it is the company that has been buying them and loaning them to us.

Art Boyne, boyne@hplvla.hp.com

david@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG (David Deitch) (06/01/90)

In a message of <May 29 22:00> reed (akcs.reed@tronsbox.UUCP ) writes:

 > I have to buy some high speed dial up modems, running at 9600 bps.
 > I'd be
 > interested in hearing from anyone recommending or disparaging a
 > particular
 > brand. Thanks for your help.

If you are dealing with calling BBSs or dealing in a mailer network like
FidoNet, then I recommend either a Hayes Ultra 9600 or a USR Dual Standard
HST 9600.  Both support the ccitt v.32 standard and the v.42 bis standard.
In addition Hayes uses a proprietary ping/pong protocol while the USR
sports the favored HST protocol.  Both modems will function with a majority
of the existing 9600/2400/1200 baud modems out there.  Both also have
special deals for sysops of bulletin board systems.

     David Deitch (GIS)
     deitch@gisatl.fidonet.org
     1:133/411@fidonet

David Deitch - via FidoNet node 1:133/411
UUCP: galbp!gisatl!david
INTERNET: david@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG