[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Ctrl-Alt-Del with QEMM v. 5.00

neh@kos.rci.dk (Niels Erik Holm) (06/01/90)

I have a little (but interesting) problem running the QEMM Expanded
Memory Manager v. 5.00 on my 386 PC. My PC has a Phoenix BIOS and
a standard VGA, and I use DOS 3.30.

If I run the OPTIMIZE program it suggest that ANSI.SYS, DISPLAY.SYS
and the keyboard driver should be mapped into high memory. OPTIMIZE
modifies the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS file according to these
suggestions. After a reboot, pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del will cause
the system to hang.

If however the keyboard driver is NOT loaded into high memory,
by modifying the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, Ctrl-Alt-Del functions as normal.

If anybody has similar problems and eventually some kind of
solution I would like to know.

Best regards

Niels Erik Holm, RC International, Denmark
Mail address: neh@rci.dk

cosheff@netmbx.UUCP (Charles Shefflette) (06/03/90)

neh@kos.rci.dk (Niels Erik Holm) writes:

>I have a little (but interesting) problem running the QEMM Expanded
>Memory Manager v. 5.00 on my 386 PC. My PC has a Phoenix BIOS and
>a standard VGA, and I use DOS 3.30.

>If I run the OPTIMIZE program it suggest that ANSI.SYS, DISPLAY.SYS
>...After a reboot, pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del will cause
>the system to hang.

>If however the keyboard driver is NOT loaded into high memory,
>by modifying the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, Ctrl-Alt-Del functions as normal.

>If anybody has similar problems and eventually some kind of
>solution I would like to know.

I had similar problems with my 386 that has an AMI BIOS.  Eventually, I
discovered that the problem was with filling the ROM holes and QEMM
remapping stuff that was already mapped with Shadow RAM.  My solution?
I use the following line in my CONFIG.SYS.

DEVICE =C:\QEMM\QEMM.SYS AROM=C000-C7FF ROM=C800-C9FF I=F000-F7FE NRH NR RAM
NOSH

I have an ORCHID ProDesigner VGA and a WD1007WA2 ESDI HD/FD controller.  The
NRH NR and NOSH parameters keep QEMM from 1) looking for holes in the ROMS and
using them, 2) remapping a 4K page in the SYSTEM ROMs to detect reboots (don't
know exactly why this helped, but it does give you 4K of EMS back), and 3)
NOT messing with your already mapped ROMs (IMPORTANT!).  I intentionally
mapped out the areas I knew had Adapter ROMS.  After a bit of experimentation,
I found that I could give QEMM the low half of page "F" for its use.  In the
AMI BIOS this area is filled with diagnostic ROMS which are only used during
a reboot.

Hope this helps.

Chuck Shefflette
West Berlin