[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What kind of interface is this hard drive?

ccastje@prism.gatech.EDU (John Adair) (06/01/90)

What kind of controller uses a (36pin?) connector at the hard drive
end of the cable (not a card edge).  There's only one cable running
from the controller to the hard drive (besides power) and it looks the
same on both ends.  It's a 3 1/2 drive (40 meg) with no sign of manufacturer
on it.  I think it uses RLL, but I'm not positive.

(Don't blame me, my roommate bought it)

John Adair   :  ccastje%prism@gatech.edu : ccastje%prism.gatech.edu.BITNET
uucp:         ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastje
Georgia Tech Box 30812, Atlanta, GA 30332                      Disclaimer:
I speak only for myself, and in no way, shape or form reflect the views or
opinions of my employer  (The Office of Computing Services, Georgia Tech).

cjl@uncecs.edu (Charles J. Lord) (06/01/90)

In article <10006@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ccastje@prism.gatech.EDU (John Adair) writes:
> What kind of controller uses a (36pin?) connector at the hard drive

Sounds like the IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics).  The IBM PS/2
and some others use it.  Never seen an ISA card interface for this,
anyone else?
--
 *  Charles Lord               ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl  Usenet (old) *
 *  Cary, NC                   cjl@ecsvax.UUCP            Usenet (new) *

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/03/90)

ccastje@prism.gatech.EDU (John Adair) writes:
>What kind of controller uses a (36pin?) connector at the hard drive
>end of the cable (not a card edge).  There's only one cable running
>from the controller to the hard drive (besides power) and it looks the
>same on both ends.  It's a 3 1/2 drive (40 meg) with no sign of manufacturer
>on it.  I think it uses RLL, but I'm not positive.
>
>(Don't blame me, my roommate bought it)

It seems to me that you're unsure of the number of pins.  If it's 40-pin, then
it's an IDE.  If it's 50-pin, then it's a SCSI.  Note these are general rules
of thumb and don't take into account the hard drive vendors that "dare to be
stupid."

Do you have a model number on it?

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

cjl@uncecs.edu (Charles J. Lord) writes:
>In article <10006@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ccastje@prism.gatech.EDU (John Adair) writes:
>> What kind of controller uses a (36pin?) connector at the hard drive
>
>Sounds like the IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics).  The IBM PS/2
>and some others use it.  Never seen an ISA card interface for this,
>anyone else?

Sure, there are IDE host adaptors for ISA bus machines.  ALR puts one in their
machines.  Conner has one along with Western Digital.  I've seen ads from a
local vendor in San Diego that has an IDE bundled with an I/O card.  The
simple IDE adaptor is about $50.  The one with the I/O ports that I've seen
advertised was selling for $69.

     // JCA

 /*