[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC Magazine's evaluation of Northgate

dwu@alcor.usc.edu (Daniel Wu) (05/25/90)

I've been in the market for a 386 machine, and was seriously considering
Northgate.  I looked through some past isssues of PC Magazine, and found
an article titled "Endurance Tests: 386 and portables" in the Jan 16, 1990
issue (Technical Excellence).  I was favorably considering Northgate,
because I heard some very nice comments about their construction and service
from the net, but the article contained a few negative comments.  They were
reviewing the Elegance 386/25 with 256K of read/write cache:

	While this machine can hardly be touched for sheer performance,
	the Elegance is usually dependable but plagued by a few hiccups when
	it comes to reliability and compatilibity.

	For instance if you choose to bypass the power-up self test (POST),
	the 600 MB hard disk doesn't have a chane ro come up to operational
	speed and will not boot the system. The solution: don't bypass the
	memory test.

	[Next paragraph about machine failing to boot until memory chips
	were firmly re-seated...]

	Compatibility testing also revealed some bugaboos.  I was unable to get
	a QMS JetScript add-in board to work. Lotus Express locked up the
	system every time I attempted to load it.  While I was unable to
	come up with a solution to the former problem, the latter was solved
	by running Express in a window under Microsoft Windows/386.

Has anybody out there experienced these kinds of problems?  I would have
settled on Northgate if it were not for this single unfavorable review.
Comments anyone?  I'd like to hear other people's experiences with this
machine.

Thank you

Daniel

jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) (05/25/90)

I have an Elegance 386/25 machine and have been very pleased with both the
performance and compatibility of the machine.

In article <9871@chaph.usc.edu>, dwu@alcor.usc.edu (Daniel Wu)

> 	For instance if you choose to bypass the power-up self test (POST),
> 	the 600 MB hard disk doesn't have a chane ro come up to operational
> 	speed and will not boot the system. The solution: don't bypass the
> 	memory test.

I have a 150 MB disk, not a 600 MB disk, but I can bypass the memory test
without any troubles.  The machine has never failed to boot.

> 	[Next paragraph about machine failing to boot until memory chips
> 	were firmly re-seated...]

I have never experienced this problem either.

> 	Compatibility testing also revealed some bugaboos.  I was unable to get
> 	a QMS JetScript add-in board to work. Lotus Express locked up the
> 	system every time I attempted to load it.  While I was unable to
> 	come up with a solution to the former problem, the latter was solved
> 	by running Express in a window under Microsoft Windows/386.

I must confess, I havent added much in the way of additional hardware.  I
have added a 80MB Internal Tape Backup and an internal modem.  Both of these
have worked fine.

I have yet to run into any software compatibility issues with software.

Overall, I have been very pleased with the quality and performance of the
machine.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.  Good luck with
your decision.

Jeff S.
jps@uf.msc.edu
Minnesota Supercomputer Center.

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (05/26/90)

In article <9871@chaph.usc.edu> dwu@alcor.usc.edu (Daniel Wu) writes:
> I've been in the market for a 386 machine, and was seriously considering
> Northgate.

Good choice.  I have been very happy with my Northgate machine.

>	While this machine can hardly be touched for sheer performance,
>	the Elegance is usually dependable but plagued by a few hiccups when
>	it comes to reliability and compatilibity.

>	the 600 MB hard disk doesn't have a chane ro come up to operational
>	speed and will not boot the system. The solution: don't bypass the
>	memory test.

This has never happened to me with my 330 M-byte drive.  Make sure
that you get the fastest drive and drive card that you can find--it
is a waste to couple a fast machine with a slow drive.

>	[Next paragraph about machine failing to boot until memory chips
>	were firmly re-seated...]

It is very common for chips and cards to come unseated during shipment.
I have seen this on many machines, including a PS/2-70.

>	Compatibility testing also revealed some bugaboos.  I was unable to get
>	a QMS JetScript add-in board to work. Lotus Express locked up the
>	system every time I attempted to load it.  While I was unable to
>	come up with a solution to the former problem, the latter was solved
>	by running Express in a window under Microsoft Windows/386.

Northgate has a 24 hour hotline, and they will take back everything they
sell for some period of time after you buy it.  As readers of "Chaos Mannor"
in Byte magazine may know, adding cards to a PC is always an adventure.  You
can probably find at least one combination of cards that will not work in
any particular PC.  You can minimize these problems by purchasing popular
cards for you base machine to do the video, disk drives, and ports.  Doing
this insures that there is at least a chance that the manufactures of the
more obsure cards (like JetScript) have tested thier products with your
cards.

> Has anybody out there experienced these kinds of problems?

I found only one bug-a-boo that I didn't like: the cheaper tower case that
I ordered with my machine had a defect where the mother board mounting points
orient the mother board such that the cards do not fully seat in the mother-
board when the connectors are properly installed in the opening in the case.
It is about 1/8" off.  Northgate offered to replace the case for free, but
I declined that offer because I do not plan to change the configuration and
everything currently works.

I also took Northgate up on their "take-back" policy.  The monochrome
monitor that I purchased had a long-persistence screen, which I hate.
I exchanged it for a super-VGA screen.  No problems.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) (05/28/90)

I have a Northgate 486 25i.  It is the same Elegance machine as the 386.
Before buying it I did a lot of research.

The machine got top rating in InfoWorld Nov 27, 1989 pg 90 and Computer-
World Jan 22 1990 pg 59.  I don't know what artical you read in PC mag.,
but it was an Editor's choice in PC Mag. October 31, 1989 pg 97 among
22 machines.  I have found my machine very solid and with good quality
control in the construction.  It is very fast.  It has a Maxtor disk
that is very quiet.  I have found no compatability problems using
MS DOS 4.01.  Tech Support is execellent and available 24 hours seven
days a week with only very short waits on the 800 number.

Well, as you can see, I really like the machine and think that you
can't go wrong with it.  Also, the chairman of the company hangs out
on the IBMHW forum section 7 of Compuserve.  Any complaint gets
immediate attention from him.  Lots of recommendations of the Northgate
machines on that forum.

Charles Jay Pilzer  cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com

kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (06/02/90)

In article <402@beartrk.beartrack.com> cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) writes:

>I have a Northgate 486 25i.  It is the same Elegance machine as the 386.
>Before buying it I did a lot of research.
>
>Charles Jay Pilzer  cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com

Charles,  two questions:
1) How much trouble are you having with your 486 interfering with other stuff?
I heard that it only has a class FCC class A licence.  Does it put out alot
of interference?

2) Do you know if it will run OS/2?  I don't use it now, but I might want to
later.

Thanks,  Michael

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) (06/03/90)

computer with no interferance.  The label on the machine says that it
complies with FCC Class A rules.

In reguard to OS/2, Northgate does not distribute it, but I beleive that
some people are running IBM version.  I have no personal experience.

-- cj

dwu@castor.usc.edu (Daniel Wu) (06/04/90)

In article <402@beartrk.beartrack.com> cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) writes:

>I have a Northgate 486 25i.  It is the same Elegance machine as the 386.
>Before buying it I did a lot of research.
>
>The machine got top rating in InfoWorld Nov 27, 1989 pg 90 and Computer-
>World Jan 22 1990 pg 59.  I don't know what artical you read in PC mag.,
>but it was an Editor's choice in PC Mag. October 31, 1989 pg 97 among
>22 machines.

My original article may have been overlooked by now, but I noted the issue
and article in PC Magazine:

]
]	For instance if you choose to bypass the power-up self test (POST),
]	the 600 MB hard disk doesn't have a chane ro come up to operational
]	speed and will not boot the system. The solution: don't bypass the
]	memory test.
]
]	Compatibility testing also revealed some bugaboos.  I was unable to get
]	a QMS JetScript add-in board to work. Lotus Express locked up the
]	system every time I attempted to load it.  While I was unable to
]	come up with a solution to the former problem, the latter was solved
]	by running Express in a window under Microsoft Windows/386.

>Well, as you can see, I really like the machine and think that you
>can't go wrong with it.  Also, the chairman of the company hangs out
>on the IBMHW forum section 7 of Compuserve.  Any complaint gets
>immediate attention from him.  Lots of recommendations of the Northgate
>machines on that forum.
>
>Charles Jay Pilzer  cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com

All the responses I have received so far have indicated no compatibility
problems.  I don't think, though, that anybody has tried to duplicate the
the above scenario.

I don't have access to CompuServe, but perhaps someone who has may
want to forward these concerns to the IBMHW forum.

Daniel
dwu@castor.usc.edu