[comp.sys.ibm.pc] how do I create fonts for CGA ?

a516@mindlink.UUCP (Jordan Melville) (06/02/90)

In article <8387@uswat.UUCP>, rolan@gauss.uswest.com (Rolan Christofferson)
> wrote:
> I would like to change the font from the IBM character set to something else.
> Where is the character set stored in memory?  I have seen font editors for
> EGA and VGA, but I am stuck with a lowly CGA, so those editors are no good to
> me.
>
> Am I attempting to do something easy or difficult?

You're attempting to do something that's impossible unfortunately. The only
possible way I can think to go into a different font would be to force the card
into a graphics mode and have the dos 'shell' use graphics as characters... The
problem is that it would be slow, memory hungry, and would not work within
programs.

Jordan.

Jordan C. Melville         Voice: (604) 943-7155
Vancouver, BC                BBS: (604) 943-3503 (2400baud)
"There's blood in the       UUCP: {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!a516
streets, it's up to my            a516@mindlink.UUCP
ankles" - The Doors

doug@ozdaltx.UUCP (Doug Matlock) (06/04/90)

In article <8387@uswat.UUCP>, rolan@gauss.uswest.com (Rolan Christofferson) writes:
> I would like to change the font from the IBM character set to something else.
> Where is the character set stored in memory?  I have seen font editors for EGA
> and VGA, but I am stuck with a lowly CGA, so those editors are no good to me.
>
> Am I attempting to do something easy or difficult?
>
> 			       -=+[ rolan ]+=-

In "Programmer's Guide to the EGA/VGA", I read that the character generator
for CGA is in ROM.  I guess this implies that it is not possible to
modify the characters, whereas it is fairly simple to do so on the
EGA/VGA which stores its character generator in RAM.

--
Doug.

"If you want Peace, work for Justice."