[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Modem question.

somani@parns.nsc.com (Anil Somani) (06/02/90)

 I am trying to dial a BB number. The instructions from the BB provide
 configuration information to set echo mode, parity, data bits etc. One
 of the instruction states:
 "Set 72727272<return> as the answerback string in your software
 before dialing"

 I am using Bitcom software on a PC XT with Hayes modem. I did not see
 any setting for an answerback string during dial operation. There is
 an "Answer string" parameter which is for incoming calls, and which
 I believe, has nothing to do with dialing outside.

 When I dial the number it connects, echoes some random characters on
 the screen and after few seconds disconnects by itself.

 Could some kind folk give me any pointers, where to plug this answerback
 string. I tried suffixing the dialied number which didn't work.
         ATDT<number><answerback string>

 thanks,
 -Anil.
--
Anil Somani                uucp: {sun|hplabs|amdahl|decwrl}!nsc!parns!somani
National Semiconductor     Domain: somani@parns.nsc.com

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (06/05/90)

In article <209@hawaii.nsc.com> somani@parns.nsc.com (Anil Somani) writes:

> "Set 72727272<return> as the answerback string in your software
> before dialing"
>
> I am using Bitcom software on a PC XT with Hayes modem. I did not see
             ^^^^^^
If Bitcom really doesn't make any provision for an "Answer back string",
(and I suspect that it doesn't) then your only alternative is to change
software.  When the system at the other end sends ENQ (ASCII 5), your
end should respond with the answer-back string.  This is a rather
old and crude method of providing security but it works rather effectively
(as you have found).
Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965