Date: Wednesday, 15-Jun-83 23:18:21 PDT
From: Lauren Weinstein <vortex!lauren@LBL-CSAM>
Subject: "Wargames"

In my humble opinion, the film "Wargames" is a good example of the
sort of "pseudo-technical" crap that gives people unrealistically
negative views of computers and the people who work with them.

Without giving away too many plot details (if anybody really cares),
the basic "gimmick" in the movie is stolen directly from "Colossus:
The Forbin Project", with the addition of a generic computer "whiz
kid".  Anybody with slightly more than a passing familiarity with
computers and/or the manner in which the U.S. missile systems are
controlled should find the film to be totally ridiculous.  Basically,
the film throws together many concepts which might seem "plausible" to
the average person but which in reality are just plain unrealistic.

A few of these "concepts" include:

1) A Super-Computer controlling all missiles, which cannot be
   reasonably bypassed, and was programmed by one guy.  This person
   is no longer around, nobody else understands the software,
   but it's still being used anyway.  Maybe this is the case for
   some of our mail systems (?!?) but not for military systems!

2) Dialup lines into classified computer networks.  Non-crypto data
   communications in general classified use.  Simply untrue.

3) Door crypto-locks that look like Touch-Tone pads, and actually
   emit audible touch tones (which can be played back to open the
   door!)  Gimme a break!

4) Payphones whose microphones can be easily unscrewed and which
   can be easily "ground-started".  (Suuuuuure...  This isn't
   1966 you know!)

This by no means completes the list.  I won't even mention the typical
silliness of data rates much faster than possible with the modems in
use.  (Oooops!  I mentioned it!)  I will avoid qualifying the
incredibly inane ending of this film with any sort of mention at all,
other than to say that it is *indeed* stupid and totally ridiculous.

As you can see, what we have here are a bunch of concepts that may
"seem" plausible to many people.  Everybody has heard of high school
students breaking into computers -- so why not a classified computer
network that controls missiles?  The fact that no computers are in
"control" of missiles in that manner, and the fact that classified
systems of that sort do not have dialup lines and make heavy use of
encrypted communications, has been conveniently overlooked for the
sake of dramatic effect.  Likewise, people have "heard" that there are
(were) "simple" ways to defeat payphones, and everyone KNOWS that
pushbutton pads always emit tones, right?  So security keypads have to
work the same way, right?  Poppycock!

If films like "Wargames" didn't aspire to be carrying a deep and
meaningful "message", they might be enjoyable in much the same manner
as "Little Shop of Horrors".  But "Wargames" is so blatant in its
warping of technology for the sake of "impact" that it cannot be
excused.  Not only that, but interviews with some of the film's top
production staff have made it clear that they "feel" they were
presenting only a *slightly* exaggerated scenerio.  At least one wire
service writer went out interviewing NORAD officials to try find out
if "Wargames" was realistic.  When this writer confronted the
"Wargames" staff with the NORAD discussion of non-remote-access
facilities, encrypted communications, and the like, the "Wargames"
people simply responded with (something to the effect of): "We all
know that no computer is completely secure, so something like this
could happen"; a statement which is very misleading for the case in
question.

"Wargames" is a transparent attempt to "cash in" on pseudo-science
while promoting an anti-war message.  I have no gripes (in general)
with films which desire to present a meaningful message, nor do I
necessarily disagree with the concept that the current nuclear missile
"arrangement" between the superpowers is terribly dangerous and in
need of change.  However, in my opinion, it would have been possible
to create a film that managed to get such a message across (perhaps by
portraying some of the "real" dangers in the system, such as sensor
failure combined with human error) rather than create a totally
unrealistic situation (presumably because it held more "drama" and
would be more easily "understood" by the vast masses without any
significant explanation).

"Wargames" is essentially an exploitation film, which, to quote the
priest in "Harold and Maude", "... makes me want ... to vomit."

--Lauren--

P.S.  I've been fuming about this movie ever since a friend of mine
came back from a very early screening over at the MGM lot and provided
me with the first details.  Now that I've gotten these complaints off
my chest, I feel much better.  Thanks all!

--LW--

RDones.es@PARC-MAXC.ARPA (06/23/83)

Lauren;

I take it then that you didn't like the movie!

Rene

Shipper.ES@PARC-MAXC.ARPA (06/23/83)

NO VIOLENCE, SEX OR BAD LANGUAGE?  How about Global Thermonuclear War?
True, nothing violent about that, not a single act (just total
annihilation.)
No bad language, since you can not imagine people swearing as they burn.
No sex, since you can not picture people having to re-populate the
world.

I am against most censorship anyway, but I would not think that a movie
that makes light of nuclear war is any better than one with sex,
violence, and bad language.

larrabee.pa@PARC-MAXC.ARPA (06/24/83)

Have you seen the movie?  I have.  I went in knowing that I would have
to leave my knowledge of the workings of computers in the lobby when I
arrived.  It did NOT make light of nuclear war.  It specifically stated
that anyone who did survive the first strike would be a much less lucky,
and more miserable person than the ones who died early.

I enjoyed the movie -  except for its strong anti-nuclear message is was
light
entertainment with several witty statements, and some quite tolerable
acting.  Even in the case of the two slimy parodies of computer jocks: I
can't really be too offended because I know people who ARE computer
jocks and who ARE that bad (or worse).  I don't even mind the rediculous
baud rates and the flashing lights because I recognize them as
theatrical tricks which are useful, perhaps even necessary, for the
younger audience.  Now, I am the kind of person who enjoys
Annie Hall or an Alfred Hitchcock movie more than I enjoy a "realistic"
movie such as Taxi Driver, so perhaps my view is warped: judge for
yourself.

Computer professionals have got to stop being so high and mighty about
their field.
Policemen, politicians,  professional atheletes, etc. have had to deal
with the misportrayal of
their fields for years.  Now it is our turn.