[comp.sys.ibm.pc] GIF-->bmp

wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) (06/04/90)

	Hi, could kind soul out there Please tell me where I can find a
program that converts GIF format pictures to bmp picture??

Thanks in advance!
Wayne

wngai@paris.ics.uci.edu

c60a-1ed@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Shang-Tse Chuang) (06/04/90)

Yes, when I first got Windows 3.0, I had the exact same thing in mind...
Luckily, there does exist a program that will convert GIF's to.. not BMP,
but MSP format (the OLD Microsoft Paint format, which can still be read
by the new paintbrush... phew)...  The program is called HIJAAK, and it
will convert from/to a number of different formats including GIF, PCX, MSP,
Amiga ILBM, Gem IMG, Halo CUT, HP PCL, PIX, PIC, Macpaint, TIFF, etc...
Also, it will convert from any of these formats into PostScript (!!!) for
printing...

As for the quality of the conversion, I cannot say too much right now, since
I presently own a Hercules graphic card.. but I'll have an upgrade to SVGA
soon, so in a few weeks, my unbearable torture will be over, and Windows will
be just a teeny-weenie bit more CoLoRfUl ...  BUT even in Hercules, the
graphics conversion is indeed impressive...

Btw, Hijaak is NOT shareware, so look to your nearest software distributor
in terms of acquiring it...

kevinc@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Kevin Crocker) (06/05/90)

In article <1990Jun4.062235.8110@agate.berkeley.edu> c60a-1ed@e260-3f (Shang-Tse Chuang) writes:

>Yes, when I first got Windows 3.0, I had the exact same thing in mind...
>Luckily, there does exist a program that will convert GIF's to.. not BMP,
>but MSP format (the OLD Microsoft Paint format, which can still be read

It does the new MSP format as well -- get the upgrade.

>by the new paintbrush... phew)...  The program is called HIJAAK, and it
>will convert from/to a number of different formats including GIF, PCX, MSP,
>Amiga ILBM, Gem IMG, Halo CUT, HP PCL, PIX, PIC, Macpaint, TIFF, etc...
>Also, it will convert from any of these formats into PostScript (!!!) for
>printing...

I own Hijaak and it does do the job.  I have somehow :-) found it
necessary to do just about every conversion that it can handle and they
all seem to work.  Since I just received my brand new Taxan UV 1150
(21") color monitor I can really put Hijaak to the test -- once my
drivers arrive of course.  So far everything except specialized
software runs inf CGA emulation mode as I have no other graphics card
than the PixelWorks Ultra Clipper (1280x1024x256).  The conversions in
Hijaak worked because I have been able to read the converted files in
the target application, however, I can't judge as to quality yet.

BTW, if anyone wants to send some really interesting
GIF/MSP/PCX/PIC/etc.../etc... files I would be more than happy to
convert them and then post a summary about the experience!!!!

Kevin (Up and reading again) Crocker

P.S. Hijaak is commercial software but it is not very expensive I think
(my memory is good but short :-)) about $99.00 from

Inset Systems Inc.,
71 Commerce Drive
Brookfield CT
06810

203 - 775 - 5866

The usual disclaimers apply: no affiliation with Inset just a very
happy customer!
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc,attvcr}!atha!kevinc