[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Generating PC-compatible postscript files from Mac's?

hemmat@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (06/06/90)

In article <1990May14.215409.16644@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
shimmin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (John Shimmin) writes:

>In article <21069@boulder.Colorado.EDU>
>huntert@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Tim Hunter) writes:

>>The recent article on hairlines in Mac programs reminded me of something I'd
>>like to be able to do:
>>
>>I know that Adobe Illustrator (or is it Aldus Freehand?) saves it's files as
>>postscript code.  I'd like to be able to get this type of output for other
>>programs, such as Pagemaker or Excel.  If I could get a text file of postscipt
>>code from these applications, then I'd be able to send it to the local unix
>>  Tim Hunter				University of Colorado, Boulder
>>  huntert@tramp.Colorado.EDU		'I really don't like lobster!'
>
>A little documented feature of macs is that if you hold down the 'k' key
>after you send the print command, you will generate a postscript text
>file.  i'm not sure if it matters what printer you have selected with
>the chooser.  The times I have tried it, a laser printer was selected,
>but it seems like it might work independently of the chosen printer.
>
>John Shimmin

	I have tried holding down the "k" key after sending a file
to the laser-printer, and successfully generated a psc file. I then
tried to laser-print this file from an IBM PC, after transferring it
of course, using TOPS and was not successful at all. I have received
no error messages, no output, nothing what-so-ever.

	Is the Mac's generated postscript different from standard
postscript? and if it is, is there any way to convert one to another?
Any pointers/help will be appreciated. All I am trying to do is to
generate standard postscript files from Mac applications and be able
to send them to a laser printer via IBM PC's.
Thanks in advance.

M. Hemmat
--
Hemmat@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu