[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 4DOS 3.0 Bug?

mark@mbf.UUCP (MHR {who?}) (05/31/90)

Some time back someone posted a notice about a bug in 4dos 3.0.  I would
like to install this but I am reluctant since I don't recall what the
bug was, only that it was dangerous.

Could someone please email me the relevant information (or repost it,
but just once, please, in alt.msdos.programmer)?  Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Why only alt.msdos.programmer?  Because, as you probably know very
well, c.s.i.p. is a veritable ocean, whereas a.m.p. is a relatively low
traffic group.  Try it - you'll like it (well, maybe)!

--
Mark A. Hull-Richter		    "Opinions are like <*>: everyone has one."
Senior Principal Engineer		      (Mine just happens to be right!)

chao@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (06/01/90)

In article <20707@mbf.UUCP> mark@mbf.UUCP (MHR {who?}) writes:
>Some time back someone posted a notice about a bug in 4dos 3.0.  I would
>like to install this but I am reluctant since I don't recall what the
>bug was, only that it was dangerous.

The 4DTECH notes on Simtel20 says that there's a maintenance update to
4DOS 3.0 which has many problems fixed.  Does anyone have a copy?

-----
Chia-Chi Chao     chao@ocf.berkeley.edu   ..!ucbvax!ocf.berkeley.edu!chao

russell@ALF.UNOMAHA.EDU (Tim Russell) (06/01/90)

>The 4DTECH notes on Simtel20 says that there's a maintenance update to
>4DOS 3.0 which has many problems fixed.  Does anyone have a copy?

     I just got it the other day, and sent a message to Keith Peterson
about getting it in the Simtel archives.  Watch for it soon.

					Tim Russell
					Univ. of Nebraska at Omaha

stevek@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Steve_Kite) (06/01/90)

4Dos is now up to rev 3.01a -- this was to correct several
bugs, one of them being dealing with the end of file when
concatanating files.

~  If a jimbuck stands alone by the sea, on a night when the    ~
~  dark moon sings, how many grains on sand in a single one of  ~
~  his footprints?                                              ~
~                                                               ~
~  steve kite     -   hp-ptp!stevek   -   stevek@hp-ptp.HP.COM  ~

bressler@iftccu.ca.boeing.com (Rick Bressler) (06/01/90)

> Some time back someone posted a notice about a bug in 4dos 3.0.  I would
> like to install this but I am reluctant since I don't recall what the
> bug was, only that it was dangerous.
>
> Could someone please email me the relevant information (or repost it,
> but just once, please, in alt.msdos.programmer)?  Thanks in advance.

The bug that I saw was that the move command would allow you to move a
file or group of files to NUL, which resulted in deleting the file.

Actually, while dangerous, it doesn't seem like a bug to me. Dos
considers its special devices  (con, lpt etc..) to be files, and if you
can copy a file to lpt1, why shouldn't you be able to move it to NUL?
The device belongs to dos, not 4dos.

I've also seen complaints that files with special names like lpt1.xxx
can't be created, but I've also had this problem with command.com.  Dos
(not 4dos) apparently looks at the filename to see if it matches a special
device name before it checks the extension, thus lpt1.xxx is equivelent
to lpt1 which is reserved etc...

I've been using a *registered* copy of 4dos for about 6 weeks now and  have
found no real problems.  It seems like a good product.  There is a
disclaimer in the documentation to the effect that 4dos is a
powerful tool, and thus gives you many more ways to get into trouble if you
aren't careful / aware. This is true.  I'd suggest windows or a MAC for the
faint of heart.  Unix users should love it if they are forced to use dos on
occasion.

-rick-

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) (06/03/90)

I have a copy of the latest update to 4DOS 3.0 which is 3.01a.  This release
did fix several bugs, which I did not find particularly disturbing.  It is
about as bug free as any other program you might have.  I recomend it with
out concern.  If you start to use it you will not give it up.  It has many
of the features contained in unix shells as well as some others.

I have been using version 3.0 before the update, and it caused no problems
to any other program.  I have run it with DOS 3.3 and 4.01.

-- cj

huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) (06/04/90)

I have had totally _mysterious_ error messages "Unknown command /z"
when using Norton Utilites' Norton Integrator, Nethack 2.3, and a
VMS-style help-system. I _think_ one common denominator to these
programs is that thay have been developed under Microsoft C. Any other
notices on this?

--Kauto
--
****************** Kauto Huopio (huopio@kannel.lut.fi) **********************
*US Mail: Kauto Huopio, Punkkerikatu 1 A 10, SF-53850 Lappeenranta, Finland *

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (06/05/90)

In article <HUOPIO.90Jun4084459@kannel.lut.fi>, huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) writes:
> I have had totally _mysterious_ error messages "Unknown command /z"
> when using Norton Utilites' Norton Integrator, Nethack 2.3, and a
> VMS-style help-system. I _think_ one common denominator to these
> programs is that thay have been developed under Microsoft C. Any other
> notices on this?

I've noticed that if Norton does not handle the SWITCHAR correctly.

If you've set SWITCHAR to other than '/', Norton gets seriously confused
by pathnames with '/' in them..

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@omni.com

huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) (06/06/90)

In article <2337@borabora.omni.com> bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:

> I've noticed that if Norton does not handle the SWITCHAR correctly.

> If you've set SWITCHAR to other than '/', Norton gets seriously confused
> by pathnames with '/' in them..

> Bob Weissman

Well, methinks that it's not the SWITCHAR. For example if I start NU
from Norton Integrator, it goes okay (with this odd error message),
but then leaves about 5 k worth of memory unreleased with something
like NU /z (some stuff here) .. Note that I didn't give ANY parameters
to NU at NI's command line..

--Kauto