[comp.sys.ibm.pc] unzip problem

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (05/03/90)

I recently got stevie from simtel20, but can't unzip it with
Samuel Smith's unzip 2.0 patchlevel 0.

Does anyone know which version will work, and have a PD .exe
they'd be willing to email?

Or is there one on simtel? I couldn't find one.

Cheers!

Dave E.

MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu (Matthew Starr Richmond) (05/03/90)

In article <639@marvin.moncam.co.uk>, emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) says:

>I recently got stevie from simtel20, but can't unzip it with
>Samuel Smith's unzip 2.0 patchlevel 0.
>
>Does anyone know which version will work, and have a PD .exe
>they'd be willing to email?

You need to get version 1.10 of PKZIP.  I believe the European version
is available on Simtel in the ZIP directory, but I'm not sure.  This
is the latest ZIP available and should be able to unzip ANY zipped file
you may find..  Best of luck..

>Dave E.
Matt

phillips@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Phillips) (05/06/90)

     Actually, PK ZIP 1.2 is the latest version, available in SIMTEL20,
or through wu.

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (05/06/90)

In article <7579@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> phillips@uhccux.UUCP (David Phillips) writes:

>     Actually, PK ZIP 1.2 is the latest version, available in SIMTEL20,
>or through wu.

This is false. Version 1.1 is the latest. I checked Simtel because I wanted
to be sure about this.

--
-------Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi, hv@flame.uwasa.fi, hv@funic.funet.fi)-------
|    University of Vaasa, PL 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (fax: +358 61 248465)  |

count0@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Roy Silvernail) (05/10/90)

phillips@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Phillips) writes:

>     Actually, PK ZIP 1.2 is the latest version, available in SIMTEL20,
>or through wu.

Are you sure that's not PKZIP 1.02?
                                ^^

The version I have is 1.10, and carries a file date of 3-15-90.
                        ^^
I'm not aware of any newer versions.
--
Roy M. Silvernail | Imported from Alaska, where Hell really does freeze over!
"You'll be lookin' for me on another label!" (here's 3 of 'em...)

hartung@amos.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (06/06/90)

In article <2452@orbit.cts.com> count0@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Roy Silvernail) writes:

>The version I have is 1.10, and carries a file date of 3-15-90.
>                        ^^
>I'm not aware of any newer versions.

I read an article posted by Phil Katz to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d stating that
version 1.2 is an unauthorized hack of 1.1 and should be deleted from all
BBS's and public ftp sites.  He also stated his intention to _NOT_ issue a
version pk PKZIP in the future with version number 1.2, so as to avoid
confusion between the unauthorized hack and a real copy.  Did you _really_ st
this on SIMTEL20?  I'd be surprised if it were allowed on, much less kept on
once Phil Katz disavowed its authenticity.

--
 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (06/06/90)

In article <2452@orbit.cts.com> count0@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Roy Silvernail) writes:
>phillips@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Phillips) writes:
>>
>>     Actually, PK ZIP 1.2 is the latest version, available in SIMTEL20,
>>or through wu.
>
>Are you sure that's not PKZIP 1.02?
>                                ^^
>The version I have is 1.10, and carries a file date of 3-15-90.
>                        ^^
>I'm not aware of any newer versions.
>--

As far as I know, the latest version of pkzip is 1.10  The version 1.20 is a
hacked version of 1.10 and should be avoided.

				Conway Yee, N2JWQ

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (06/06/90)

In article <2452@orbit.cts.com> count0@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Roy Silvernail) writes:
>phillips@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Phillips) writes:
>>
>>     Actually, PK ZIP 1.2 is the latest version, available in SIMTEL20,
>>or through wu.

Version 1.2 is a fake and is not a release from PKWARE.
Do not use any version of PKZIP with a version number of 1.2
There will be no release of a version 1.2 because of this fake
release.

the latest version is 1.10 and is available on SIMTEL20

- Jeff