[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Russian Word Processor Needed

fredb@ferret.rtech.com (Fred Buechler [Devil Mountain Consulting] ) (06/05/90)

Hello,

     A friend of mine has a need for a Russian word processor that runs
on a PC and hopefully can print using any of the big name 24 pin printers.
Apparently he wants to communicate with some friends in Russia.

Thanks,

Fred.

Fred Buechler                           fredb@ferret.ingres.com
Devil Mountain Consulting, Inc          71261.2747@compuserve.com
Concord, California                     # include <DISCLAIMERS.STD>
"Don't test for an error condition that you don't know how to handle"

DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (06/06/90)

Fred Buechler said:

>     A friend of mine has a need for a Russian word processor that runs
>on a PC and hopefully can print using any of the big name 24 pin
>printers.
>Apparently he wants to communicate with some friends in Russia.

Some time ago I wrote a hack for patching a Cyrillic code page into
MS-DOS. The resulting MS-DOS has an additional code page 880 (as well as
the usual 437, 850, etc) which contains Russian characters placed in
accordance with Soviet GOST. You can edit Russian text WYSIWYGly in
almost any editor you like.

The hack can be obtained, among other places, from SIMTEL20 as
PD:<MSDOS.SCREEN>CYRILIC2.ARC. The archive includes a downloadable font
for 8-pin epson, but I never found the time for a 24-pin version.

I am the administrator of the RusTeX-L mailing list. If you are
interested in something more complicated than just russian letters on
screen + keyboard (such as Russian TeX, or Russian add-on to
WordPerfect, or HP-format soft Cyrillic fonts), take a look at its
archives on LISTSERV@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU. Also I'll be happy to add
you/your friend to the mailing list if you're interested.

My feeling that that either TeX with WNCYR fonts and an epson driver, or
WordPerfect will do what your friend wants. [Note: both are WYSIWYG as
far as Russian letters are converned, but I am biased toward TeX,
obviously. Besides, it's FREE!]

Dimitri Vulis
CUNY GC Math
DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET

ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) (06/06/90)

There is a company in Nashville IN. that sells fonts for
WordPerfect (and others).  They sell Russian and others, support
24 pin, 9 pin, laser printers, and EGA/VGA displays.

Woodsmith Software
(812) 988-2137

Steven Wallace
Indiana University
wallaces@ucs.indiana.edu
wallaces@iubacs.bitnet

djb@wjh12.harvard.edu (David J. Birnbaum) (06/06/90)

The most recent and complete survey of computing in Cyrillic is
Robert Whittaker's "Computer Corner" in the AATSEEL Newsletter,
Vol. 32, letter 6, May 1990.  Call the Slavic department at your
local university and ask whether someone can make a copy available
for you.

--David

David J. Birnbaum         djb@wjh12.harvard.edu [Internet]
                          djb@harvunxw.bitnet   [Bitnet]