The following is a summary:

From: Duncan Murdoch <dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu>

I'm currently using a NEC 3D and like it, but want to warn you:  it can
only do 1024x768 interlaced.  I don't like the interlacing and wouldn't
recommend it.  (Actually, I've read that it'll probably do that resolution,
but there's no guarantee.  My video card, an ATI VGA Wonder, can't do
non-interlaced, so I don't really know.)

Duncan Murdoch
---
From: Harri Valkama LAKE <hv@uwasa.fi>

I just bought a cheap 1024x768x16 monitor called LiteOn. I don't know
if you can find that in US but it is Taiwanese build and it got
Panasonic tube inside. I think it is quite good. Here at home I am
looking at right now Nec II (1024x768x16) so I have a little
experience of others as well. This LiteOn was 1/5th cheaper as Nec 3D
that I was considering also.
---
From: Mary Winters <mjw06513@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>

The Princeton Ultrasync is an excellent monitor. I've had mine for almost
2 years with absolutely no problems (and I run it with a Tseng chipset SVGA
card, and the Ultrasync will do 1024x768x16 with no noticeable flicker).
It's also priced a bit lower than the NEC Multisync.

---
From: tpf@jdyx.atlanta.ga.us (Tom Friedel)

Then NEC 3d is really one of the cheapest monitors that will do
1024x768, I have found.

I am writing because I am trying to sell a new STB EM16+ card
that has 1 meg 80 ns RAM and does 1024x768x256.  It is $290.
It would work with the 3d.

tom
---

From: troby@diana.cair.du.edu (THORNTON ROBY)

See PC Magazine May 15, 1990 for a review of 800x600 monitors and
April 10 1990 for 1024x768. Be sure to try any monitor with your
card before buying - I got the Seiko CM1440 because the specs looked
so good but they seem to have a non-standard video cable and my
Paradise SVGA card doesn't recognize that the monitor is capable of
800x600. One other note on the Seiko: it doesn't seem as bright as
some of the others - I vaguely remember some inverse relationship
between dot pitch and brightness. Also, Seiko will be coming out with
the 1450 with 1024x768 non-interlaced in "July", but if you need
digital compatibility that wouldn't work for you anyway.

---
From: Sub Ramakrishnan<rama@andy.bgsu.edu>

The PC magazine (I think April 1990) has two excellent (rather long)
articles; one on SVGA cards and the other on 1024x 768 monitors.
They are excellent well written articles.
One card (among a few) others that they recommended was genoa 6400 svga.
I did buy one myself just last week; I am satisfied with its price
and performance. It is capable of handling virtually all known standards.

> I am currently only considering the NEC 3D, but which is a bit pricy.
> I know that it can handle everything that I need it to handle.  I was
> considering the Seiko 1440 but it turns out that it can't handle EGA
> and CGA modes.  What other monitors are good and how much are they?

I went through the same problem!  Again, I went for a monitor
that is compatible with every standard. Of course, it is not
as well known as the NEC 3D. It is made by maatsushita: View
Perfect 3. Carries all the same features as NEC 3D but costs
a lot less. (The reason, for the price differential, I am told
is that the product was introduced an year ago). It works just fine.
ps: I do NOT have any affiliations with these product vendors or
comapnies.

Sub Ramakrishnan (Internet # 129.1.1.2; rama@andy.bgsu.edu)

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun5.160335.29585@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) writes:
|Be sure to try any monitor with your
|card before buying - I got the Seiko CM1440 because the specs looked
|so good but they seem to have a non-standard video cable and my
|Paradise SVGA card doesn't recognize that the monitor is capable of
|800x600. One other note on the Seiko: it doesn't seem as bright as

I have a 1440 hooked up to a Paradise 1024 VGA and it works fine, in
fact, it works very well at 800x600 and I used to use it that way
all the time until Windows 3.0 came out. As soon as I get a driver
I'll do it again.

|some of the others - I vaguely remember some inverse relationship
|between dot pitch and brightness.

I have no problem with the brightness. There are in fact some VGA
cards that will drive it hard enough that I can crank up the brightness
to the point where the monitor shuts down, presumably to protect the
power supply. This is at a point where it is much brighter than I
would want anyway.

(I used to try many different VGA cards with this monitor)

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"Separate but equal": bad for blacks, good for women.

You didn't mention the LOOP SVGA monitor from COMPEQ.  It's now advertised
in PC Magazine.  It costs $359, does 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, has a .28
mm dot pitch, and it's really great.  I've got one, and I wouldn't part
with it.  Of course, I've also got a Zenith FTM at work, and I wouldn't
part with *that* either.  But it's not SVGA :-(.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems