[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CoreTest ?

mk59200@korppi.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (06/05/90)

The CoreTest disk benchmark program has been mentioned many times
recently.  Is this program freely distributable, and if it is,
where can I get (by FTP) a copy?

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi

mk59200@korppi.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (06/06/90)

In article <13468@etana.tut.fi> mk59200@korppi.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) writes:
>The CoreTest disk benchmark program has been mentioned many times
>recently.  Is this program freely distributable, and if it is,
>where can I get (by FTP) a copy?

OK, thanks for those who replied.  It's free and I FTP'd it
(version 2.9) from chyde.uwasa.fi.

Now, running it gave some interesting results, and I'd like to
know if others have noticed something like this:
using the Microsoft EMS driver (EMM386.SYS) cuts transfer speed to half!

The computer is Nokia (a.k.a Alfaskop) 4TT m336, with a 100MB SCSI
disk and Adaptec controller.  (don't know the exact model of controller
and disk)  The results:
without EMM386: transfer 897.2 kB/s, av. seek 22.4 ms,
with EMM386:	transfer 473.9 kB/s, av. seek 23.2 ms.

Is this unique with EMM386 or do all EMS drivers behave similarily?

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi