[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Automatic Disk Compressors?

baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) (05/27/90)

Does anybody know of a good automatic disk compressor?  I saw an
ad for a program called "Squish Plus" and it read as follows:

     Squish Plus
      o Doubles the capacity of any disk
      o Compresses files up to 50%
      o Works on-the-fly without special commands

     Here's the easy way to make a 40 megabyte hard disk hold 80
     megabytes of data, and get 1.4 megabytes of information onto
     a 760K floppy.  It's called Squish Plus, and it's the best
     data compressor we've ever seen.

     Unlike archive programs, it's completely automatic and invisible.
     Your software operates just as before: all word processors,
     databases, spreadsheets, utilities ---anything--- will work with
     Squich Plus.  Files are automatically compressed as they're saved.
     And you get password protection, too.

This program was selling for $99.95.  Has anyone used this program,
and how do you like it?  Are there any other similiar programs?
Thanks in advance for any responses.

dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) (06/02/90)

In <3841@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) writes:

> Does anybody know of a good automatic disk compressor?  I saw an
> ad for a program called "Squish Plus" and it read as follows:
>
> This program was selling for $99.95.  Has anyone used this program,
> and how do you like it?  Are there any other similiar programs?
> Thanks in advance for any responses.

Hi,
	I'm currently using Squish Plus version 2.00.  I am satisfied.
I use it to keep my news "compressed".  I get about 30-35% more space
that way.  Shortly after I upgraded to 2.00 I got a call from the someone
at Sundog Software asking me how it was working.  I told them that I was
dissapointed with the compression ratio.  After a short discussion in which
I explained my application, they told me that the ratio I was getting is
about what would be expected.  Apparently Squish Plus does much better on
lots of little files than on a few monster files.  I have tested that.
I chose Squish Plus over some other products (whose names escape me at the
moment) because it offers on the fly compression/decompression.  The other
software I looked at (hardly exhaustive, but...) would decompress in place,
so you'd have to have free space available for the decompressed version.
Granted, with Squish Plus you have to have a special "disk" file that is
the place where files are kept.  It has its own drive letter.  Version
2.00 will let you expand this "disk" file after its been created.  I don't
think (but its been a while since I read the manual) that it will let you
shrink it.  I like it because even though it is slower, I don't need to
have the extra disk space to hold the "unexpanded" version while I'm using
it.  For news, its fine.  (I don't recall how much I paid initially tho').
If you're interested in more details about "what" it does (I don't know
"how" and don't much care), let me know.
		-Doug

---
Preferred: willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu OR ...!sei!willett!dwp
Daily: ...!{uunet,nfsun}!willett!dwp   [in a pinch: dwp@vega.fac.cs.cmu.edu]

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (06/03/90)

    Based on your description, I can't tell why Squish Plus is better
than, say, PKZIP, or ZOO, or any of the other PD/Shareware compressors.
Care to go into that a little more?  Or would you like a copy of the
latest PKZIP to test?

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         Manager, Software Development    34 12 N  118 27 W

      96.37% of the statistics used in arguments are made up.

dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) (06/07/90)

In <268@demott.COM>, kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:

>     Based on your description, I can't tell why Squish Plus is better
> than, say, PKZIP, or ZOO, or any of the other PD/Shareware compressors.
> Care to go into that a little more?  Or would you like a copy of the
> latest PKZIP to test?

Fair enough.  The reason I chose Squish Plus was that it *never* uses
more disk space than the file consumes while compressed.  When you read
and write the file it is automatically de-/compressed.  I chose this
particular feature because it means you don't need to have the disk space
available for the uncompressed version.  For example, if you have a 100K
text file compressed into a .ZIP file and you want to read it, you must
un/de zip it.  This means that in addition to the 55K (say) that the
.ZIP consumes you need to have 100K free for the un/de zipping process.
I like Squish Plus because you never need that buffer space, blocks are
compressed and decompressed in memory, on the fly, between the disk and
DOS.  I also like it because I don't have to run pkunzip manually before
I want to look at the files, and then delete them or re-zip them when
I'm done.  There is some other compression product that does do that
step for you automatically; but it still happens; it still takes up
extra room *on the disk*.  Squish Plus does use memory for this process,
however, and it helps to have extended or expanded memory to use for
"buffering" space.

Is this any clearer?

-Doug

P.S.  Squish Plus requires you to set aside space on the disk for its
uses (a Squish Disk file).  However, since I keep news articles in my
Squish Disk, it is always full or nearly full, so much so that I would
not have the free disk space for the uncompressed versions of newsgroups.

---