[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS Extenders

plb@dcdwest.UUCP (Phil Blais) (12/15/89)

I was informed recently of a new DOS extender supposedly named PC-MOS,
anyone else heard of it?  A write up was possibly in Computer Language
magazine either Dec. or Nov. issue, if anyone receives this publication
could you please check it for info on PC-MOS and confirm?
Thanks in advance.

							phil blais
							ITT-Defense
							San Diego, Ca.
							(619)578-3080

RHOPGOOD@ucs.UAlberta.CA (Robert Hopgood) (12/19/89)

In article <550@dcdwest.UUCP>, plb@dcdwest.UUCP (Phil Blais) writes:

>I was informed recently of a new DOS extender supposedly named PC-MOS,
>anyone else heard of it?  A write up was possibly in Computer Language
>magazine either Dec. or Nov. issue, if anyone receives this publication
>could you please check it for info on PC-MOS and confirm?
>Thanks in advance.
>
>                                                        (619)578-3080

PC Magazine has a review of 5 multi-tasking operating systems for the 386.

The review included : DESQview/386
                      Windows/386
                      VM/386
                      Concurrent-DOS
                      PC-MOS

They recommended the first 3 as the most reliable in operation.

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/07/90)

The awful day is fast arriving when overlays won't fit out application
into the DOS address space.  I understand that Microsoft Windows 3.0
uses a DOS extender.  Whose is it?  Rational's DOS 16/M floats around
in my memory, but I would like to hear something a little more
authoritative.

Has anyone ported an application to any of the DOS extenders?  Any
gotchas to watch for?  I suspect that this is a subject of general
interest.  What do you do for customers with 8086/8088 processors?
Tell them they need to upgrade?
--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Pipe bomb: appropriate technology for living lightly on Mother Earth. :-)

bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh) (06/08/90)

In article <3761@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>Has anyone ported an application to any of the DOS extenders?  Any
>gotchas to watch for?  I suspect that this is a subject of general
>interest.  What do you do for customers with 8086/8088 processors?
>Tell them they need to upgrade?

I have used the Phar Lap extender for the 386, and about the only changes
I had to make (other than satisfying the High-C compiler) was to change
any direct call to DOS via intdos() and their like.  I have no complaints
about the extender, as all the functions I have used have worked exactly
as documented.  It's kinda tough to debug, as I miss CodeView, and their
debugger has a tendancy to single step into interrupt service routines
that get called between two of your instructions... (And always right
before I get to the broken part! ;-)  One limitation is that 'protected'
mode programs can not spawn other programs...

As for the users, you have to consider the program/package you are writing.
If you are writing a package that will have reasonable performance on
an 8088/8086, then I would expect a version that works on one.  But if
the program is a 3-D cadd program, I wouldn't expect any kind of 'reasonable'
performance on an 8088, so I wouldn't think requiring a 286 or 386 would
be that much of a handicap.

Bill
--
Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil