[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Scientific Text Editor

brand@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Graham Brand) (05/25/90)

In article <441@accucx.cc.ruu.nl> aceverj@accucx.UUCP (Jaap Verhage) writes:
>IMHO, emTeX is THE TeX for PC's. Commercial vendors may
>quietly go broke now.

Where does one get this marvel of software engineering?

-Graham Brand

aceverj@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jaap Verhage) (05/29/90)

In article <36555@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> brand@janus.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Graham Brand) writes:
>In article <441@accucx.cc.ruu.nl> aceverj@accucx.UUCP (Jaap Verhage) writes:
>>IMHO, emTeX is THE TeX for PC's. Commercial vendors may
>>quietly go broke now.
>
>Where does one get this marvel of software engineering?
Ah, that's the spirit. One: I've got NO commercial or
commercial-like interests in emTeX (or any TeX, as they should
all be public domain/shareware, if you ask me). Two: where?
Here: terminator.cc.umich.edu (35.1.33.8), directory
msdos/text-mgmt/TeX/emtex, which contains 6 directories disk1
... disk6 plus documentation files in English (the originals
are in German, as is the author, Eberhard Mattes of Stuttgart
University). Disk1 ... disk6 fit on a 1.2M disk each. TeX and
friends are included (Metafont, for example) in generic PC-,
286- and even OS/2-versions. Ah, the good works of some of us

marwk@levels.sait.edu.au (06/04/90)

In article <46@altos86.Altos.COM>, pfrennin@altos86.Altos.COM (Peter Frenning) writes:
> In article <1990May16.090230.4513@daimi.dk> sorenr@daimi.DK () writes:
> }
> }
> }
> }What about MicroSoft Word for PC ????
> }
> }It is an amaising program!!!
>           ^^^^^^^^
>         It has even got a spell checker :-)
>
> }One the university we got Latex for Sunstations and HP's, but I must
> }say that a lot of people prefere MicroSoft Word for there reports !
>                           ^^^^^^^
>                            Ditto :-)
> }
> }It is easy learning and using, and you vil be able to do a lot of
> }fanzy things in no time.
> }
> }So I will recommand Word instead of WordPerfect, also because it is
> }totally integrated with Windows's other products !!!!!
> If you are really into Windows WP, you should try out Sammna's Ami or Ami
> Professional also, IMHO they are even more amazing.
>
> }
> }
> }Regards
> }
> }Soren Rehne
> }AArhus University
> }Denmark
> (Hej S|ren, rart at h|re en r|st fra gamle Danmark!!!)
> }
> }

There is much discussion about different technical word processors, but
if you want a professional package you will have ot pay for it (about $800,
I think) and you will buy a package will will last you a life time.

I do not receive royalties for my recommendation for TRIAD's T-cubed (T3)
product, and they don't let on if they see my recommendations of it, but
it is one incredible piece of software ingenuity.

I have a bought a personal copy of it I think it is so great, and CHI-writer
a crude pretender in comparison.

Some (miniscule) info on it is as follows:

T3 (T-cubed) is a WYSIWIG scientific word-processing system.

All special structures and characet attributes are displayed on screen.
This includes built-up mathematical expressions (25 levels of super- and
sub-scripts), chemistry structures (very many are available with the package
and you can build your own in a simple, sensible way, seeing immediately
what they look like).  Build your own macro files: over 1000 are provided
for technical writing with very sensible names (and if you do not remember then
you can choos form a list, or various lists).

Use up to 16 fonts in a document, 40 fonts are provided, more available.
Cyrillic, European, and many other languages come standard.  Hebrew is also
available.  I believe they are working on Chinese and/or Japanese.

Symbol fonts have all the symbols I have required, but if they are not enough,
crete your own fonts while in T3 and print them directly to see what they look
like and make appropriate changes; I have made my own several times and modified
some of the standard symbols to my own liking.

With postscript printers you can merge graphics illustrations.

8 separate print regions on the page, supporting 4-column printing.
Life-time free support from TCI Inc. to registered users- no charge.

Fast menu driven interface with the choice of on-line help.

The most consistent interface of any program I have have ever used - it has
been desiged with a consistent philosophy, which, when understood, makes T3
easy to use in any situation.

Spelling checker in merican, English, Germa, French, ...

Import other documents as ASCII files, and others.

Documentation includes a reference manual, tutorial (228 pages of very, very
clear instructions) and a quick reference guide.

Automatic numbering and placement of footnotes and endnotes.

Many different type-faces, including proportional fonts.

Mail merge facility.

Automatic document save - the user can set the time interval.

Password access to documents (although the text in the files can still be
read amongst the control characters by using a debugger, for example)

Requires IBM PC, XT, AT, PS/2 640K, fixed disk, supports CGA,EGA,VGA, Hercules,
AT&T 6300, Vectra, Compaq III portable,...

100's of printers supported.

Future enhancements include:  inclusion of database facility for bibliographies!

: convert document to TEX format.
: Mouse/iconic interface (which I think is a bad idea)
: Index generation

There is also a regular newsletter.

The parts I like best is the ease with which multi-super- and sub-scripted
formulae can be edited, and the interface.

T3 is a joy to use!

I was one of the first users in SA to use T3 - February 1985 and I still feel
the same way about the product, especially with all the wonderful enhancements
they have made during this time.

For further information, I suggest you contact:

TIA: Technical Imports Australia Pty. Ltd.
     Suite 602, 6th floor
     220 Pacific Highway
     Crows Nest
     NSW 2065

     PO Box 176
     Crows Nest
     NSW
     2065

     (02) 922 6833
     TELEX: AA22922 (POSSY)
     FAX:   (02) 925 0311

Contact:  Peter Hew

Ask for the latest brochure and a printout of the T3 Demonstration Document.

A demonstration version is also available.

In USA contact TRIAD Inc. in New Mexico.

Ray Kennington
South Australian Institute of Technology

Disclaimer:  My thoughts are my own and may not reflect my employer's not
             TRIAD's.

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (06/04/90)

I tried Chiwriter from Horstman Software in San Jose, CA USA.  I was
looking for an inexpensive wordprocessing package that would also
handle scientific information.  This filled the bill!

The complete product with all the disks (it's modular) is about $250.
This includes multiple fonts, postscript and LaserJet support, spelling
checker, EGA/VGA support, mailmerge, and more.

If someone has the phone then please post it for the others.  I have
not updated my software and still have the original Ann Arbor, MI
address in my book (the update sheets are at home).

--
Ed Tankus.   {uunet,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus@hsi.com
Snail:       3M Health Information Systems

wws@rruxc.UUCP (Wayne Scott) (06/06/90)

In article <7156@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, steube@euclid.MATH.ColoState.Edu (Kenneth Earl Steube) writes:
> In article <9312@pt.cs.cmu.edu> gerry@cive.ri.cmu.edu (Gerry Roston) writes:
> >IMHO there are NO good WYSIWYG text-editors to do scientific
> >work.
> >...................Your best best is TeX or LaTeX.

I've seen TeX discussed in several articles, in which people mentioned using
it in many environments.  But, I haven't seen any mention of TeX and UNIX.
Is anyone using TeX on one of the many flavors of UNIX?

--
Wayne Scott - Bellcore      |  I don't have to be ashamed of the car I drive,
proud owner/driver of a     |  I'm just glad to be here, happy to be alive.

beaucham@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (06/06/90)

ChiWriter is available at

Horstmann Software
140 E. San Carlos
Suite 200
P.O. Box 5039
San Jose, CA 95150
(408) 298-0828

jan@cancol.oz (Jan Newmarch) (06/08/90)

In article <385@rruxc.UUCP>, wws@rruxc.UUCP (Wayne Scott) writes:
> I've seen TeX discussed in several articles, in which people mentioned using
> it in many environments.  But, I haven't seen any mention of TeX and UNIX.
> Is anyone using TeX on one of the many flavors of UNIX?

You could almost say that TeX looks set to replace nroff/ditroff etc
as the standard in Unix. Yes - plenty of people are using it.