[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Opinions needed on Zoom Modem with Sendfax

komarimf@clutx.clarkson.edu (Mark Komarinski,,,) (05/30/90)

	The other day my dad got a thing in the mail from Zoom Telephonics
	 advertising their 2400 modem that also sends faxes at 4800 for some
	 great price.  He's hot to get it, but I want to know if anyone out
	 there has one and if you do, what you think of it.  (Or if you have
	 a fax board that's around $200 could you let me know?)  Thanks to
	 all in advance.

Mark Komarinski - take yer pick - komarimf@clutx.clarkson.edu
                                                .bitnet
"Nothing can stop him.  Not even common sense."
"Bork Bork Bork."

cliffhanger@cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer) (05/31/90)

The last time I bought a ZOOM the price dropped $30 the next wix
week!

I suspect this is a sales gimmick.
Can't you buy fax software that will run on any modem? They make
you think that the modem they sell is somehow part
of a fax system, I think it is therex their same modem , but
now with some software!

Cliff

dubner@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Joseph L. Dubner) (06/01/90)

komarimf@clutx.clarkson.edu Mark Komarinski writes:

>        The other day my dad got a thing in the mail from Zoom Telephonics
>         advertising their 2400 modem that also sends faxes at 4800 for some
>         great price.  He's hot to get it, but I want to know if anyone out
>         there has one and if you do, what you think of it.  .......

I'm not familar with this particular modem, but perhaps it's similar to
Zoom's 2400 baud external modem.  I bought one late last year and it
worked well except that it wouldn't connect with the finicky Racal Vadic
(sp?) we have here at work.  (It connected with everything else).

Anyway, Zoom's technical support was sympathetic but of no help.  Zoom
refunded my money, so they seem like they're legit.  Personally, I have
no complaints about the company.

Joe Dubner     K7JD  |  Hewlett Packard Company  |  dubner@hpspkla.HP.COM

murphy@usafa.af.mil (Maj Jack murphy) (06/08/90)

komarimf@clutx.clarkson.edu (Mark Komarinski,,,) writes:

>	The other day my dad got a thing in the mail from Zoom Telephonics
>	 advertising their 2400 modem that also sends faxes at 4800 for some
>	 great price.  He's hot to get it, but I want to know if anyone out
>	 there has one and if you do, what you think of it.  (Or if you have
>	 a fax board that's around $200 could you let me know?)  Thanks to
>	 all in advance.

>Mark Komarinski - take yer pick - komarimf@clutx.clarkson.edu
>                                                .bitnet
>"Nothing can stop him.  Not even common sense."
>"Bork Bork Bork."

I have the modem that you speek of.  I've only used the fax capability
once.  It worked just fine and the price was right. I recommend it.

Jack Murphy
murphy@usafa.af.mil